Baptist and Broughton restrictions to end next week for winter
By Stephanie Hacke
Published: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 12:30 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, November 20, 2012
Restrictions and detours at the Baptist and Broughton roads intersection will be removed next week, weather permitting, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation District 11 officials said Tuesday.
Crews currently are completing temporary traffic signal work needed to reopen the Bethel Park intersection by Nov. 30. Some movements through the intersection may reopen earlier in the week.
Restrictions and closures have been in place since the project started in March, PennDOT officials said. Some utility work could continue through winter with short-term restrictions. The project will resume in April with additional long-term single direction detours and restrictions through next fall.
The $3.9 million safety and congestion reduction project will create significant mobility improvements for the traveling public at the busy intersection, PennDOT officials said. Work includes reconstructing and widening the intersection to add turning lanes, improved drainage, retaining walls, new traffic signals, curbing and bituminous resurfacing.
Overall work will conclude in fall 2013.
About 28,000 vehicles use the intersection on an average day, according to PennDOT.
Stephanie Hacke is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-388-5818 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- NHL commissioner Bettman talks Crosby, Olympics, outdoor games
- Senators' Alfredsson clarifies comments made after Game 4
- Dejan Kovacevic chat transcript: May 24, 2013
- Penguins insider: Golden opportunity arrives with Game 5
- Friday’s high of 51 was lowest ever for May 24
- Police: Former Bethel Park PTO president spent stolen money on ‘stupid stuff’
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- TJ’s Mascaro served early exit at state singles
- Steelers notebook: Gilbert hopes to stay on left side of O-line
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.