Work to begin in Beedle Park in Jefferson Hills
Beedle Park in Jefferson Hills will begin the first of a $3.5 million six-phase refurbishment project in 2013.
“It's probably a 10-year project,” said Allen Cohen, borough planner and zoning officer. “It's a major step.”
Engineering work for the first phase of the project will begin in 2013, with construction tentatively scheduled to begin in 2014. The first phase of the project costs $361,000 and includes the refurbishing of a soccer field, construction of a new multi-purpose field, addresses drainage and parking issues and relocate park access, Cohen said.
Borough officials earmarked $261,000 from the capital improvements budget, while the remaining $100,000 will come from a Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources grant. Jefferson Hills received notification of the grand funding in November 2012.
“The less pain there is for the budget, the better it is for the borough,” Cohen said.
Borough officials plan to apply for the DCNR grant for subsequent phases of the project, Cohen said.
In 2011, borough council approved comprehensive parks and recreation plans, which proposed upgrades to the 125-acre park. Gateway Engineers also created a master plan for the project.
A consistently growing population in Jefferson Hills makes it necessary to renovate Beedle Park, Cohen said. A facelift to the park, which would add several fields and courts, would be a long-term fix for the sport facility shortage problem in the borough.
“We're the most growing area in all of the South Hills,” said Cohen, in October 2011. “It's something the community really identified as a priority.”
Laura Van Wert is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-388-5814 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu’s legacy
- Hit sends Penguins’ Letang to hospital
- Mt. Lebanon native, Iraq war hero’s action goes unrewarded
- Leadership Butler County aims to benefit community with pavilion project
- Probiotic bacteria help conquer ‘superbugs’
- Shortfalls sabotage promise of a union retiree’s pension
- Downie’s goal, fight spark Penguins to win over Coyotes
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Starkey: Next frontier for Steelers offense
- Norwin High School health teacher charged with selling heroin
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone