Auditions scheduled for ‘School of Glee’ in Whitehall
By Stephanie Hacke
Published: Wednesday, January 30, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Performing a mash-up of Jayme Dee's “Tip-toes” and George Michael's “Faith” alongside her three best friends on the Baldwin High School stage was exhilarating for Paige Franjione.
The South Fayette High School freshman gave it her all, as she belted out each note.
“I had never had that experience,” said Franjione, 15. “It felt so good.”
In her school's choir, Franjione said it's like she is one of many. But, here, it was her time to shine.
The four South Fayette students who performed at Dance Workshop by Shari's “Gifts of Dance” showcase were the first — a test, of sorts — for Jack and Lynnette Kelley of Whitehall to see how their musical training would work.
Its success meant that they could move forward with a dream to start a choir for middle- and high school-aged students, the “School of Glee,” where the youths could learn modern music — based on ideas from Fox's hit show “Glee” and the 2003 film “School of Rock” — and perform at local venues.
“We want to do songs that the kids know and like,” Lynnette Kelley said.
The choir is all about having fun.
“We're not going to take ourselves seriously,” Jack Kelley said.
The Kelleys are starting the “School of Glee” with auditions at the Whitehall Borough Building, 100 Borough Park Drive, on Feb. 7 from 6 to 8 p.m.
Auditions are in the form of a workshop and no musical training is required.
Stephanie Hacke is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-388-5818 or email@example.com.
- New program in Baldwin Borough honors top cops
- Candidates in South Hills communities seek party nominations
- Web extra: Q&A with Baldwin Borough mayoral hopefuls
- Commissioners set property tax rate
- Gas company project a bump in the road in Baldwin Borough
- Whitehall Public Library changes with the times
- Baldwin High School showered with Kelly nominations
- South Hills polling places to cast votes
- Tax drop dependent on reassessment in Baldwin-Whitehall
- Road construction planned throughout South Hills area
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.