Scouts among volunteers to help clean up South Park creek
Trout season along Peters Creek will begin this weekend with cleaner banks and stocked waters.
The Tri-Community Anglers Association and South Park Township worked with the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Montour Trail Council, Peters Creek Watershed and residents to organize a spring clean-up along the creek on April 6. About 30 volunteers picked up trash along Peters Creek, from Snowden Road to the other side of Green Man's Tunnel in Jefferson Hills.
“There are people all up and down the streams,” said Tim Schumann, one of the volunteers. “I think it's extremely important if we want to keep a stream like this in a suburban area.”
Walt Sackinsky, South Park Township supervisor and an angler, said the stream is stocked with rainbow trout, about $3 per fish worth, prior to the fishing season beginning.
“People don't realize how neat it is to have a national trout area here,” Sackinsky said.
Fishing in the creek is catch and release to protect the stock, he said.
“If you put it back, you can catch the same fish week after week,” Sackinsky said.
Bryan Egan, bear den leader for Pack 562, said this is the first time six of the boys participated in the clean-up. The Boy Scouts typically look for community and environmental projects.
“We were looking for something for the boys to do,” Egan said.
Terry Solomon, Girl Scout leader, said she was looking for a unique community service project.
“If nobody cleans the area up, it would be horrible,” Solomon said.
Laura Van Wert is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-388-5814 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cultures unite for Thanksgiving celebration in Whitehall
- Baldwin-Whitehall students get serious about playing games
- Whitehall council votes to change borough’s alcohol policy
- Students serving as representatives to West Jefferson Hills board
- Whitehall property owners sound off on storm water fee
- Brentwood finds new use for old uniforms
- Obstetrics unit at Jefferson Hospital welcomes 1st arrivals
- Glass Run Road in Baldwin to remain closed through December