Riverview boys slip by St. Joseph
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Riverview's boys soccer team had the look of a dark horse entering the season, but the Raiders are making a move toward the front of the Section 2-A pack.
Behind two goals from Cole Wilson, Riverview edged host St. Joseph, 2-1, on Tuesday afternoon on a water-logged field at Harrison Hills Park.
For second-place Riverview (4-3, 3-1), Cole Quinio and Zach Lesnick logged assists on Wilson's goals, and Sam Gonsowski made 10 saves. Ricky Celko scored, and Matt Rubright had nine stops for St. Joseph (3-4, 1-3).
“This is a real big win for us,” Riverview coach Mickey Namey said. “The second half's going to be real interesting.”
Springdale 7, Aquinas Academy 2 — Jared Cole collected four goals and one assist as first-place Springdale (7-0, 5-0) rolled past Aquinas Academy (0-6, 0-4) in Section 2-A.
The Dynamos are ranked No. 3 in Class A by Trib Total Media.
Burrell 1, Mt. Pleasant 0 — Joey Cox scored on an assist by Lucas Nisera, and Burrell (6-0, 4-0) got by Mt. Pleasant (0-6, 0-4) in an unexpectedly close Section 1-AA game. Alex White made eight saves for the Bucs.
Kiski Area 1, Franklin Regional 1 (2OT) — In a meeting of the top teams in Section 1-AAA, Kiski Area (4-1-1, 2-0-1) battled to a double-overtime tie with undefeated Franklin Regional (5-0-2, 4-0-1). For Kiski Area, Dakota Lange scored, and Brandon Smail made seven saves.
Deer Lakes 2, Valley 0 — Valley (5-1) fell from the ranks of the undefeated with a nonsection loss to Deer Lakes (5-2). Tom Handerhan scored and assisted on Shane Mullen's goal to lead the Lancers. Dan Gruber made six saves as Deer Lakes recorded its first shutout of the season.
Fox Chapel 7, Woodland Hills 0 — Emma Slevin and Yayoi Furuhata scored two goals apiece, as No. 5-ranked Fox Chapel (8-0, 3-0) cruised by Woodland Hills (1-4, 0-4) in Section 3-AAA.
Riverview 3, Trinity Christian 1 — Robert Morris recruit Arden Fisher produced 12 kills and five aces, and Alison Hodges contributed 15 assists to lead Riverview (5-1, 3-1) to a Section 1-A victory.
Springdale 3, St. Joseph 0 — Springdale (2-4, 1-3) recorded its second consecutive win by defeating St. Joseph in Section 1-A. Springdale's Diana Killian collected 18 service points and five aces, Rachael Nickell had five service points and three kills, and Aubree Nutter added six service points and three aces.
Burrell 3, Deer Lakes 2 — Burrell (4-2, 2-2) won the first two games but had to hold off a charge by Deer Lakes in Section 4-AA. Hanna Perriello smashed 25 kills to lead the Bucs.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates come back to take series from Padres
- Starkey: Is this Huntington’s best Bucs team?
- U.S. allows ‘purposeful’ cruises to Cuba; Carnival plans trips from Miami in May
- Roundup: Wolf names 48 to task force on expanding gas pipelines; Airlines boost on-time rating; more
- 92-year-old Rostraver home invasion victim questioned by suspect in court
- Nonprofit finds 529 illegal dump sites in Pittsburgh, 250 more than 2009
- Plum board members reach consensus on new elementary school
- Longtime bus driver worked hard to the end
- Risk for insurers, mutual funds are stronger, IMF claims
- U.S. job openings stay high, but actual hiring falters in May
- Suspended Maryland wide receiver eyeing Pitt