Police: Burglar pilfering jewelry from Oakmont homes
By Chuck Biedka
Published: Friday, October 26, 2012, 12:31 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Oakmont police are asking residents to watch for a burglar with an eye for gold and fine jewelry.
Five houses have been forcibly entered this month, including three on the same day.
Three houses in The Commons, off Plum Street, were entered on Saturday, police Chief David DiSanti Sr. said.
“The burglar or burglars are smashing windows and grabbing jewelry — and only the better stuff was taken,” DiSanti said. “It's been thousands of dollars. We don't have a final count yet.”
A forced entry was reported at a house along Ninth Street on Oct. 5.
Another house, on 15th Street, was broken into Monday.
“They are taking gold, mostly,” DiSanti said.
So far the haul has also included a diamond and sapphire ring, a gold and topaz ring, a gold and pearl ring and a jeweled class ring.
Area police are looking for the rings and they have at least one suspect, but they are looking for help.
DiSanti is asking for residents to keep their eyes open, too.
“If you see a suspicious car or truck or someone walking around who doesn't belong there, call us,” he said. “You could provide the tip that will help us make arrests.”
Chuck Biedka is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-226-4711 or email@example.com.
- Kovacevic: Why did Pens even get Iginla?
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Improved depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
- Penguins’ breakdown on Alfredsson goal changes series
- Turnout light across Western Pa. as voters hit polls
- Senators exude confidence after stirring Game 3 victory
- Penguins notebook: Jokinen’s faceoff skills may be needed
- Penguins Insider: Players’ focus in right place
- Pitt basketball team to play in Legends Classic
- Pittsburgh mayor’s race looks to be in the hands of only a few voters
- Quaker Valley board will use reserve to bridge budget gap
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.