West Newton's Simeral Square construction progress report for February issued
In February, the Job Conference team that meets regularly to inspect and approve construction work at Simeral Square reported that concrete was formed and poured for the retaining wall along the riverfront as well as concrete footings for the planter walls along the streetscape. Masonry work on both the retaining wall and planter walls has also begun.
In March, Fleeher Contracting expects to continue masonry work on the retaining, donor, planter and seat walls including footers, blocks, bricks and caps.
There were issues last month with silt runoff along North Water Street because of warmer than normal temperatures and high moisture. Additional stormwater and erosion control measures were put in place by Fleeher Contracting to address the issues and were communicated to the Westmoreland Conservation District and West Newton Borough that had reported the issues to Downtown West Newton, Inc. (DWNI).
Simeral Square was created to help increase visitor activity in the downtown, to spark new business and property investments, and to help current businesses to thrive. DWNI is currently planning a calendar of activities and events as well as operations and maintenance priorities for Simeral Square this summer to attract residents, vacationers and users of the Great Allegheny Passage.
DWNI continues to seek foundation and corporate grants for Simeral Square, but also needs local sponsors for Movies at the Square, Market Days and Arts in the Park activities to match the outside donors and to demonstrate local support. Please call DWNI at 724-872-0100 commit a pledge to DWNI.
Since 2004, DWNI has sponsored a fundraiser for Simeral Square known as the “Bricks and Amenities Campaign.” Donors completed forms for 4x8-inch and 8x8-inch bricks with personal messages and amenities that included benches, bike racks, etc. The fundraiser paid for the item and helped us defray administrative, engineering or construction costs. The fundraising dollars also helped to match some of DWNI's grants.
To check on an order and status, go to http://www.dwni.org and email any questions to email@example.com. Now that construction is nearing completion, the bricks and amenities ordered before 2012 have already arrived and are in storage. Items ordered after 2011 will be placed in March.
To get bricks or amenities before they are ordered, complete and submit a form prior to March 31. Bricks or amenities can be ordered after Mar. 31, but the form may be held until the next order is placed later this year.
Bricks or amenities can be ordered by calling the DWNI office at 724-872-0100 to get a brochure or by downloading one from the website, http://www.dwni.org. Proceeds will be used for development, operations and maintenance costs of Simeral Square.
George Sam is DWNI's Simeral Square project coordinator.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers stalled by Seahawks, on outside of AFC wild-card picture
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger reported symptoms that led to his exit vs. Seahawks
- Rossi: It’s past time for NFL to protect players
- Family of man accused of shooting St. Clair officer say allegations don’t fit his character
- Steelers notebook: Seahawks’ Sherman gets better of WR Brown
- Week 12 — Steelers-Seahawks gameday grades
- Steelers players say they support Tomlin’s attempts at deception
- Quaker Valley girls ‘up to the challenege’ of reaching WPIAL playoffs
- Western Pa. sportsmen: Camaraderie, traditions set tone for deer season
- Sports Deli is latest tenant to say goodbye to Parkway Center Mall
- 40 years later, siblings of South Greensburg girl who disappeared still seek closure