ShareThis Page

Sewickley supervisors OK alcohol at Crabapple

| Wednesday, April 3, 2013, 9:01 p.m.

While visitors enjoy the spring breeze and sunshine at Crabapple Park once the weather breaks, this year they will also be able to enjoy a frosty beverage at the park's three pavilions.

In February, supervisors approved a policy change to allow renters to bring alcohol with proof of insurance.

“We found that it was stopping a lot of people from using the pavilions,” said Supervisor Alan Fossi.

There will be no extra fee for the additional service, but a homeowner's or renter's insurance policy will need to be provided to the township.

Those carry a liability clause that extends to gatherings hosted by the policy holder, Fossi said.

“When you sign the contract with us, if you're going to have alcohol, you're going to have to provide that insurance, he said.

At Westmoreland County and Allegheny County parks, alcohol is allowed but only in designated pavilions.

Visitors at the Westmoreland County Park closest to Crabapple Park, Rostraver's Cedar Creek Park, allows alcohol in its 19 pavilions and indoor activity center said Lauren Jones, communication coordinator for the Westmoreland County Department of Public Works.

As long as gatherings are responsible, county officials welcome the park visitors, Jones said.

“It all depends on what your family is like and what atmosphere you want to have,” she said.

At Allegheny County parks, including Round Hill Park in Elizabeth, alcohol is only permitted in pavilions the visitor has rented and only during the time specified, said Andy Baechle, Department of Parks director.

“You can't be wandering around the park with a drink,” he said.

Proof of insurance is required for other types of entertainment like disc jockeys or “moon bounce” structures. Alcohol does not require proof of insurance in Allegheny County, but a $50 fee is necessary to apply for the alcohol permit.

Police and park officials can then keep better tabs on which gatherings should be monitored to contain any revelry or punish unauthorized use of alcohol, Baechle said.

Jones said police also diligently patrol Westmoreland County parks.

“We do have park police that patrol our parks and make sure nothing gets out of hand,” she said.

At Round Hill, eight pavilions and groves as well as the visitor's center are available to rent.

Glass bottles are prohibited at both counties' parks.

Pavilion rental rates at Crabapple Park were also approved by supervisors for this summer, remaining the same as in 2012. Rates range from $25 for residents renting the small pavilion during the week to $150 for non-residents at the large pavilion on weekends and holidays. More information can be found online at

Stacey Federoff is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at or 724-836-6660.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.