Valley Laurels & Lances
Lance: To Rich Fitzgerald. The Allegheny County chief executive continues to chide the rule of law. During his "town hall meeting" in Harmar on Wednesday on how to appeal the new assessments, Mr. Fitzgerald launched into a tirade against Judge R. Stanton Wettick, who ordered the reassessment after several courts affirmed the old system's unconstitutionality. Far worse, however, is that the ACE's incendiary remarks could incite violence against the judge. His attitude and grandstanding -- Fitzgerald childishly placed an empty chair on the stage with the judge's name on it -- is despicable. Judge Wettick should not pass up the chance to sanction Fitzgerald once and for all.
Lance: To Cheswick Council President Jonathan Skedel. "Loose cannon" is about the nicest term we've heard about the hot-tempered Skedel since he took office in January. Skedel needs to learn a little bit more about politics, especially the part about working with others to get things done. He tends to issue what sound like dictates, but which are mostly bluster since he needs others to accomplish his goals.
Laurel (with a caveat): To the Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County. Board members rejected a proposal to raise customers' quarterly surcharge from $1 to $5. Admittedly, a few dollars more won't break ratepayers. But customers first deserve to see what the water authority is doing to control expenses before reaching for more revenues.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- No. 11 Purdue presents tall order for Pitt
- Penguins’ reshuffled top line of Crosby, Dupuis, Kunitz looks familiar
- Steelers receiver Wheaton takes advantage of opportunity in breakout game
- Founder of Z&M Cycle Sales in Hempfield killed in Florida motorcycle crash
- Increasing player salaries pinch financial flexibility of Pirates
- Crop of young players bodes well for Springdale boys basketball team
- Starkey: Tomlin lived in his fears
- Franklin Regional girls respond quickly to new coach
- Woodland Hills’ plan starts to come together
- Steelers notebook: Bryant confident in backup Jones if Big Ben can’t play
- Connellsville girls ready to compete for playoffs spot