Tree recycling stations in place
By Staff Reports
Published: Friday, December 23, 2011
Westmoreland Cleanways encourages residents to recycle live Christmas trees after the holiday season.
Residents can take trees to one of 19 drop-off sites located throughout Westmoreland County.
The trees either will be chipped into mulch by the municipalities and used to beautify community parks, or placed in natural areas to provide wildlife habitat.
Last year, roughly three tons of mulch made from approximately 1,200 trees collected in Westmoreland County was diverted from landfills and used in local communities.
There is no cost to recycle a Christmas tree, but some organizations hosting tree-recycling sites collect donations to fund their own projects. They include the Boy Scout Troup 239 and the Murrysville-Export Rotary.
All locations request that trees are completely bare of decorations when dropped off, including any tree bags or wrappings used to transport the tree to the drop-off site.
Sponsors of this year's Christmas tree recycling program include Westmoreland Cleanways, the Westmoreland County Sportsmen's League, the James A. Rutter Co. in Murrysville, the Penn Township commissioners and the borough of Youngwood.
Christmas tree recycling locations include:
• Harrison City -- Jan. 7 and 14, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. -- Boy Scout Troop 239 at Schramm Farms and Orchards, 1002 Blank Road, off of Harrison City-Export Road in Harrison City.
• Irwin -- Dec. 27 to Jan. 31, Monday to Friday, 6 a.m. to 3 p.m.; closed weekends -- at Valley Landfill, 6015 Pleasant Valley Road.
• Level Green Area-Penn Township -- Dec. 26 to Jan. 15 -- Community Women's Club of Level Green at the ball field at PTARC Building, Route 130 and Murrysville Road.
• Murrysville -- Jan. 7 and 14, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. -- Murrysville-Export Rotary in the lot adjacent to parking area at the Windstream building, 4792 Old William Penn Highway.
• North Huntingdon -- Saturdays and Sundays in January, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. -- North Huntingdon Township Public Works, 12319 Route 30 West.
For more information, call call 724-836-4129 or visit westmorelandclean ways.org.
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.