Greensburg Laurels & Lances
Published: Friday, September 2, 2011
On the "Watch List": The Seven Dolors Parish probe. The investigation into the South Huntingdon Catholic church's accounts (one established outside the Greensburg Dioceses' policies) and news that its pastor, the Rev. Emil S. Payer, 66, is on administrative leave are especially disturbing. If parish money is missing, then the full "penance" provided by law should be swiftly administered.
Laurel: To a flood of volunteer aid. The Greensburg Volunteer Fire Department's dive team joined rescuers locally and from around the commonwealth in response to Irene's wrath in Eastern Pennsylvania. Large or small, these extra efforts on behalf of the public's safety deserve recognition.
Lance: To a contemptible contractor. Allegedly ripping off two rural churches for thousands of dollars in undone roof work is an abomination. Any prayers offered by the congregations for Jason Diirner, incarcerated in Cambria County Prison, should be that he repays every penny of what's reportedly owed.
Lance: To Elaine Weimer. The Connellsville grandma who fled a Wal-Mart, leaving her grandchild, 8, holding a bag of stolen goods, has been credited with time served and paroled. How fortunate for her. The inexcusable injustice to her granddaughter, however, won't be so easily corrected.
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- 16-year-old girl shot and killed on Rankin street
- Pirates notebook: Bucs shut down injured Karstens
- Will the West ever wake up?
- Penguins notebook: Tickets for Eastern Conference final on sale today
- Bank sues to stop $235,000 payment
- Alfredsson ponders his future
- Smoking in school costs man more than a fine
- Hempfield’s Holmberg takes 2nd at PIAA meet with career best leap
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.