Lenten fish fry tradition resumes beginning Wednesday
The Lenten tradition is making its way to local churches and fire stations a bit early this year.
With Easter coming on April 4, Lent begins Wednesday. And community members are ready to dig in to delicious cuisine at area fish fries for the next six weeks.
Clairton Volunteer Fire Department will serve fried fish dinners for $7 and sandwiches for $5 at Club 46, 307 Division St., on Ash Wednesday and every Friday through April 2. From 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., take-out and eat-in meals will be served.
Side dishes include french fries, pierogies, macaroni and cheese, haluski and coleslaw.
For delivery, call 412-233-7302.
Dravosburg Volunteer Fire Department, 598 Ravine St., will host a fish fry Ash Wednesday and every Friday during Lent from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Entrees include a fried fish sandwich on a bun for $6.50, and baked fish for $6, with a bun for 50 cents extra. Shrimp baskets with french fries are $5.
Sides are $2.50 and include french fries, haluski, cheddar cheese balls, pierogies, macaroni and cheese or soup.
• Christ the Light of the World Parish will host a fish fry Wednesday for Ash Wednesday in Holy Name Church Hall, 32 S. First St., Duquesne, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The menu includes dinners of fried or baked fish and shrimp. All dinners include a choice of french fries or haluski with coleslaw and coffee or tea.
A la carte items include fish sandwiches, pierogies, shrimp, onion rings, haluski, french fries, soup, coleslaw, macaroni and cheese and beverages. There also will be a bake sale.
Take-outs will be available.
• Duquesne VFW Post 188, 215 N. Second St., will serve a fish fry with a variety of sides on Ash Wednesday and every Friday throughout the Lenten season. Kitchen hours are 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. For more information, call 412-466-9897.
• St. Joseph Parish will serve fish fries Ash Wednesday and Fridays through April 2 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Fatima Hall, 817 W. Grant Ave.
Fresh fish and shrimp dinners are $6.50 and fish sandwiches are $5.50. Other items include potato pancakes, macaroni and cheese, haluski, soup, fries and pierogies.
Take-out is available, and local delivery is offered when requested and a driver is available. Call 412-466-9681.
St. Robert Bellarmine Men's Club will host fish fries Ash Wednesday, Friday and every subsequent Friday through April 2 from 4 to 7 p.m. in the St. Robert Bellarmine Parish Center Social Hall, 1313 Fifth Ave.
The menu includes baked or fried cod dinners, fried shrimp dinners, grilled cheese sandwiches and fish sandwiches. Dinners include choices of homemade haluski, pierogies, french fries, apple sauce or coleslaw as well as bread and a beverage. Desserts are available at an additional cost.
Prices are $8 for adult dinners, $4 for children's portions (10 and younger) and $6 for sandwiches.
• Elizabeth United Methodist Church, 317 Second Ave., will have fish fries Fridays through March 26. Lunch will be served 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., and dinner will be served from 4 to 7 p.m. Dine-in and take-out meals are available.
For faster service, call ahead for take-out meals at 412-384-7050.
Fish and shrimp dinners are $9 or $7 for a smaller portion. Children's dinners are $5. All dinners include coleslaw, a roll, cake and a beverage. Sides are macaroni and cheese, french fries or haluski.
A la carte items include fish on a dish for $5 and fish sandwiches for $5.50.
• St. Michael Parish will serve fish fries Ash Wednesday and every Friday through March 26 from 4 to 7 p.m. at the church hall, 101 McLay Drive.
Menu items include fried or baked fish, haluski, macaroni and cheese, pasta, pierogies, desserts and beverages.
Take-out is available. Call 412-751-0663 after 3 p.m.
St. Maximillian Kolbe will serve in-eat and take-out fish fry meals Ash Wednesday and every Friday through April 2 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. in the social hall, formally St. Ann Church, 363 W. Eleventh Ave. Ext.
Menu items include fish sandwich, fish dinner, shrimp dinner, crab cake dinner, baked and fried seafood platters, haluski, potato pancakes and more. Specialty dinners include linguini with seafood or clam sauce, scallops, fried clams and lasagna.
Call 412-462-1743 for take-out orders.
Immaculate Conception Church, 308 Second St., will host an Ash Wednesday fish fry luncheon Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Our Lady's Plaza. The menu includes baked or fried cod fish sandwiches, coleslaw, haluski, chips, pop, bottled water, coffee and tea. Eat-in or take-out is available. To pre-order call 724-863-6947 by 11 a.m. Wednesday.
Other luncheons are set for Fridays through March 26.
St. Thomas A Becket Church will begin its fish fries Friday at the school building, 139 Gill Hall Road. They will continue through April 2 from 3:30 to 7 p.m.
Dinners include a fried fish-and-shrimp platter for $7.50, fried fish for $7, baked fish for $7.50 or shrimp for $7.50. A la carte items are fried fish sandwiches, baked fish sandwiches, pizza, french fries, baked potato, haluski, macaroni and cheese, coleslaw and applesauce.
Soup specials are potato cheese dumpling on Friday and March 19; New England clam chowder on Feb. 26 and March 5 and 26; tomato red pepper bisque on March 12; and chef's choice on April 2.
There will be a pierogie special on April 2. Homemade desserts will be served weekly.
Take-out meals are available by calling 412-655-9966.
St. Mark Parish will host its fish fries Ash Wednesday and every Friday through April 2 from 3 to 7 p.m. at Father Rolan Hall, 3210 Liberty Way.
A dinner is $8 and includes baked or battered fish, shrimp or a crab cake with choice of haluski, fries or macaroni and cheese, and choice of coleslaw or vegetable. Sandwiches are $5 and desserts and a la carte items also are available.
• St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church, 901 Hartman St., will have a fish fry Fridays through March 26 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The menu includes a fish sandwich for $6 and a baked or fried fish or shrimp dinner for $8. Dinners include french fries, Spanish rice, haluski, coleslaw, coffee or tea and a dessert. Homemade soups also will be offered.
Dine-in and take-out meals are available. For more information, call 412-664-0820.
• The St. Martin de Porres Lenten Fish Fry will take place Ash Wednesday and every Friday through March 26 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the St. Martin de Porres Social Hall, 803 Market St.
The menu includes fish, shrimp and crab cake dinners for $8. Dinners include a choice of two sides: macaroni and cheese, potato pancakes, haluski with dumplings or noodles, french fries, pierogies and stewed tomatoes.
Items also are available a la carte. Take-out meals will be served, with free delivery before 5 p.m. Call 412-672-6004 for more information.
• St. Stephen's Church, 220 Eighth Ave., will host a fish fry Fridays through April 2 from 11:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Dinners are baked cod or shrimp for $8.50, deep fried pollock or crab cakes for $7, or a sampler platter of one crab cake, three shrimp and one piece of pollock for $8.50. Children's meals are $4 for baked cod or shrimp and $3.50 for pollock or a crab cake.
All dinners include coleslaw and a choice of french fries or a whole browned potato, dessert and a beverage.
Additional a la carte items include a fish sandwich, haluski, soup, macaroni and cheese and applesauce.
• St. Patrick Church will serve fish fries Ash Wednesday and every Friday through March 26 from 3 to 6 p.m. at the parish hall, 310 Thirty-Second Ave.
The menu features baked or fried fish dinners from $8.50, shrimp dinner for $8.50, a fish sandwich for $6 and a kids meal for $4.25. Dinners include two side dishes, coleslaw and a roll. Side dishes include haluski, vegetables, fries and baked macaroni and cheese.
Take-out only is available from noon to 3 p.m. Call 412-673-4112.
• St. Elias Lenten Kitchen, 4200 Homestead-Duquesne Road, will be open Ash Wednesday and Fridays during Lent from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Dine-in and take-out meals will be available.
The menu includes soup, haluski, pirohi, fried fish sandwiches, baked or fried fish dinners, crab cakes, shrimp, macaroni and cheese, desserts and beverages.
Call 412-461-9271 for more information.
• St. Therese of Lisieux will serve its fish fry Ash Wednesday and every Friday through April 2 from 3:30 to 7 p.m. in the school cafeteria, 3 St. Therese Court.
The menu features hand-breaded fried and baked fish sandwiches and dinners, fish stuffed with crab meat, homemade sauteed crab cakes, stir-fried fresh vegetables over rice, shrimp salad, fresh shrimp, cheese ravioli, chicken planks, homemade potato pancakes, pierogies, pizza, haluski and soup. Dinner prices range from $6.50 to $8.50, with sandwiches from $6.75 to $7.
Take-out is available. Call 412-462-8164 for more information.
North Huntingdon Township
• Fairmont-Hahntown Volunteer Fire Department, 890 Rose St., will host a Lenten fish fry Ash Wednesday and every Friday through April 2.
Dinners include fried fish, baked fish or shrimp for $6.50. The baked fish is made to order, so allow extra time.
Fish sandwiches are $4.75, and grilled cheese sandwiches are $1.75. Shrimp baskets are $3.75. Sides include french fries, coleslaw, haluski, macaroni and cheese and pierogies. Pizza is $1 per slice.
• St. Agnes Church, 11400 St. Agnes Lane, will host its fish fry Fridays through March 26 from 4 to 7 p.m. at Resurrection Hall.
Samplers are $7.50 and dinners are $7, with baked, fried, crab cake and shrimp varieties available.
Additional menu items include a fish sandwich, baked fish, fried fish, crab cake, shrimp, fries, baked potato, haluski, pierogie, pizza, coleslaw and applesauce. Baked goods also will be available.
• St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Church, 200 Leger Road, will host fish fries in Mack Hall on Ash Wednesday and Fridays through April 2.
Dinners include baked cod, lemon pepper cod, fried fish fillets, crab cakes, stuffed flounder and shrimp. Sides include french fries, fresh-cut potato chips, homemade haluski and coleslaw. Desserts and bottomless coffee or tea are available.
A la carte items include pizza, macaroni and cheese, cheese sticks and hush puppies.
Eat-in and take-out meals will be served.
The Sub Alpine Social Club, 108 Ninth St., will serve eat-in and take-out fish fry meals Fridays through Good Friday from 4 to 8 p.m.
Menu items include hand-breaded cod, shrimp, french fries, macaroni and cheese, haluski and coleslaw.
Call 412-823-6661 for reservations or take-out orders.
• Holy Spirit Church, 2603 Old Elizabeth Road, will serve fish fries Ash Wednesday and every Friday through April 2 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. in Horner Hall.
Dinner specials are fish sandwiches, baked fish or lobster ravioli for $7.50. Other menu items are breaded shrimp, haluski, pierogies, crab cakes, pizza, french fries, potato puffs, coleslaw, soup and desserts.
• Holy Trinity and St. Agnes Roman Catholic parishes will join forces on fish fries Ash Wednesday and every Friday during Lent from noon to 6 p.m. at the Holy Trinity Social Hall, 529 Grant Ave. Ext.
The menu includes a Captain's Platter featuring fish, shrimp and a crab cake for $10. Fish dinners are $8. Crab cakes are $7. Shrimp baskets are $6.50. A la carte items also are available.
• Skyview Volunteer Co. No. 4, 660 Noble Drive, will have fish fries Ash Wednesday and every Friday through April 2 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
The menu includes fried fish, shrimp, crab cakes, deviled crabs, grilled cheese sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, haluski and french fries.
Eat-in and take-out meals will be served. Call 412-461-9553 for take-out orders.
St. Angela Merici, 1640 Fawcett Ave., will serve eat-in and take-out fish fries every Friday through March 26 from 3:30 to 7 p.m.
Baked and fried fish dinners include choice of haluski, fries, macaroni and cheese, applesauce or coleslaw. A la carte items include crab cakes, haluski, macaroni and cheese, pierogies, soups and fish sandwiches.
Call 412-672-2360 for take-out orders.