• Harry Rideout is taking an interesting approach to coaching in his first season with the Kiski Area boys basketball team. Rideout, a federal law enforcement officer, is enamored with the team concept and does not promote individuality. Rideout didn't permit his players to have their names on the back of their shooting shirts and doesn't let the players get crazy during pregame introductions. In fact, unlike most teams, after Cavaliers players shake hands with an opposing coach, they don't run to center court for a rowdy huddle. Instead, Rideout has them return to the bench. Kiski Area is 6-3 overall and 2-1 in Section 1-AAAA.
• Shady Side Academy wrestling coach Tim Giel reached a milestone at last weekend's Valley Duals Tournament in New Kensington. Giel, from West Deer and in his 28th season with the Indians, posted his 300th career victory. Shady Side held off Valley, Avella, Knoch, Summit Academy and McGuffey to take the title. Giel also guided the Indians in the Powerade Christmas Tournament. Lower Burrell resident Nick Ciesielski, a heavyweight, placed fourth.
• Burrell basketball is having a "pink out" tonight for the girls game against Deer Lakes and Tuesday's boys game against Riverview. Fans are asked to wear something pink for breast cancer awareness. One dollar from each ticket sold will go to the Susan Koman Cure for breast cancer. Proceeds from the 50/50 raffle and a halftime shooting contest also will benefit the Koman fund.
• West Shamokin first-year girls basketball coach Kirk Lorigan will coach against his former Freeport team for the first time tonight in Section 1-AA. Lorigan led Freeport to a WPIAL Class AA runner-up finish in 2004.
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
A division of Trib Total Media is your one-stop-shop for all of your branded merchandise needs.
We specialize in providing quality affordable promotional products for every type of business including non-profits, schools, universities, sports teams and more. With 1000’s of products to choose from, our knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect apparel item or product to suit your needs and budget.
Why use TPSolutions?
• Quality, brand name, screen printed and embroidered apparel
• Competitive prices
• Free design services
• Volume and non-profit discounts available
• Quick turn around
We offer a wide variety of traditional and new digital advertising options customized to fit your needs!
Whether you're just starting out, or you've been a keystone in the community for years, our knowledgeable staff can provide you with a customized package including online banners/advertisements, Social Media Marketing (Facebook / Twitter), Website development, Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing solutions and much more!
Contact your local sales rep today for details, personalized proposal and a meeting to discuss how we can meet your needs.