Lawsuit filed in double fatal condo fire
PITTSBURGH -...The parents of a Rostraver man who died in a 2008 fire in a Seven Springs Mountain Resort condominium have filed suit alleging negligence.
The suit, which seeks in excess of $25,000 in damages, was brought last month in Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas by attorneys James R. Freeman and Michael T. Collis, of Wilkes & McHugh, on behalf of Thomas and Mary Lou Murt, of Lee Drive in Rostraver.
The blaze, which originated in a living-room fireplace, began in the early-morning hours of Jan. 27 last year and swept through the four-story condo, killing the Murts' son, Jonathan M. Murt, 22, also of Lee Drive, and his girlfriend, Sasha A. Zuro, 26, of 346 Krolik Ave. in Washington Township.
The suit alleges negligence on behalf of all the listed defendants, including owner Bart Raitano, of 74 Hillcrest Drive, Charleroi; Sunridge Condominium Association Inc.; CFM U.S. Corp.'s Majestic, a division of Majco Building Specialties LP; and Barry Fitzgerald, of Fitzgerald Chimney Cleaning.
Also listed among the defendants is Anthony William Valkanas, of 302 Oxbridge Court, Pittsburgh, who, along with Murt and Zuro, was invited to spend the weekend at the condominium by the owner's son, Bart Raitano II.
The suit claims:
n The Sunridge Condominium Association knew there had been a previous fire in November 1993 at Unit 9, Building O, of Sunridge Condominiums, which resulted from improper design, installation and maintenance of the fireplace.
n The association failed to take proper steps to inspect the fireplaces in each of the condominium units or take remedial action to make them all safe.
n The fire that killed Murt occurred as a result of the defective design and maintenance of the Majestic fireplace in Unit F-10.
n Fitzgerald was aware from prior inspections of the fireplace in the condo that burned that it had a larger degree of creosote - a corrosive substance formed during the wood-burning process - in the chimney than in other units in the building, yet failed to warn Raitano or the Murts.
n The night of the deadly blaze, the fire in the firebox started the creosote burning in the chimney stack, enabling flames to escape and ignite wood around the stack and eventually engulf the condo.
n Valkanas had sat in front of the fireplace, where a fire was burning, and fell asleep. The owner of Unit F-11, Eric Della-Lucia, which was directly above Unit F-10, detected smoke coming into his unit and Della-Lucia warned Valkanas of the fire. Valkanas then went into the condo's kitchen, filled a pot with water, threw it on the flames and exited the condo.
The suit alleges that Murt died while attempting to rescue Zuro. Somerset County Coroner Wallace Miller said the victims died of asphyxiation because of smoke inhalation.
Upon review of the blaze, authorities at the time ruled the fire to be accidental.
"This was a preventable tragedy. Jonathan Murt was a graduate of West Virginia University with a degree in engineering and a good job. He had a bright future," attorney Jim Freeman said.
After the fire, Seven Springs Mountain Resort temporarily banned the use of fireplaces in its 19 long-term rental units. The resort already has a policy banning fireplace use in its short-term units, which are rented to customers for a week or weekend.
None of the defendants listed in the lawsuit nor Seven Springs officials could be reached for comment yesterday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Exhibits celebrate Pittsburgh artist Haskell’s works
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- Aliquippa wins 16th WPIAL title, ends South Fayette’s 44-game winning streak
- Duquesne drops wild playoff game to William & Mary
- Drones hover at top of holiday wish lists
- Newsmaker: Tyra Oliver
- Family collecting donations for Salem man seriously injured in deer stand fall
- As historic breakup nears, Alcoa works to redefine its ‘advantage’
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- Michigan State humbles Penn State in finale
- Truth be told