Old classic brings new fun
If you're in the mood for some hearty laughs and family good time fun, head over to The Geyer Performing Arts Center in Scottdale this weekend for a presentation of one of the favorite classics of all time. The Actors and Artists of Fayette County will be presenting "Arsenic and Old Lace" Thursday through Sunday at the Geyer Performing Arts Center, the former Scottdale Showtime Theater located on Pittsburgh Street in Scottdale. The show will feature lots of local familiar faces and is directed by Michael Rohlf of Brownsville. Show times will be 8:15 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and 3:15 p.m. Sunday. Tickets for the show will be $8 Friday through Sunday and $6 on Thursday. For information or to reserve tickets, call the box office at 724-887-0887.
• The Mt. Pleasant Friends of the Library are presently raffling off a seasonal basket, which is filled with goodies. Raffle tickets are available at the Mt. Pleasant Public library with all proceeds going to projects for the library.
• This is the time of year where the area food banks are hit the hardest. The Mt. Pleasant Junior High Student Council will hold a Turkey Trot walk starting at 12:40 p.m. Friday at the school. The event is open to all students in the seventh and eighth grades and all proceeds will go to the Westmoreland County Food Bank.
• St. Florian Church in United is taking orders for its annual kolache roll sale. The ladies of the parish are baking fresh, 15-inch rolls which will be ready in time for the holidays. Rolls can be ordered in nut, apricot, prune and poppy seed flavors. All rolls are $12.50 each. Orders will be taken now through Nov. 12 and will then be available for pick up at St. Florian's from 4 to 7 p.m. Nov. 21, from 3 to 6:30 p.m. Nov. 22 and 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 23. To place an order, call 724-423-5233 or 724-423-6619.
• Standard Bank will host a special dance from 7 to 11 p.m. Saturday at the Firemen's Club in Mt Pleasant. Entertainment will be provided by Metro/Unbridled. Tickets for the event will be $5 if purchased in advance at the bank or $7 at the door. All proceeds will go to the Make-a-Wish Foundation. This is a age 21 and older event.
• The PTO of Ramsay and Rumbaugh are now selling Viking Value cards which offer discounts and savings at many local businesses. Some businesses included on the cards include McDonald's, Taco Bell, Timber Ridge Golf Course and Suzie's Custard. The cards are $10 and all proceeds go to the PTO. To purchase a card, call 724-547-4647 to make arrangements for pick up. These cards are great to get and keep in your purse or car for some quick discounts and they also make great gifts.
• Get ready for some great Italian food and plan on attending the cavatelli and meatball dinner sponsored by the Visitation Finance Council to be held from noon to 4 p.m. Nov. 9 and will be held at the Visitation Community Center. Cost for the meal will be $8 for adults and $4 for children. The menu will be pasta, meatballs, salad, dessert and beverage. Take out will be available. For information, call 724-547-2605.
• Entries are now being accepted for decorated Christmas trees which will be displayed for the Festival of Lights. Anyone that is interested in decorating a tree should call Rosalind Ashmun at 724-423-3275.
• If you haven't had the time to get together that yard sale that you've been planning, it's not too late to sell your "treasures" at the community yard sale that will be held from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Event will take place at the Regional Family YMCA track. Selling spots are $10. Food will be available at the concession stand. For information, call Joyce Prutz at 724-547-9622.
• The Mt. Pleasant Township Lions Club and the Norvelt Volunteer Fire Department will hold an all-you-can-eat pancake and waffle breakfast from 8 to 1 p.m. Nov. 2 at the Roosevelt Hall in Norvelt. The breakfast will feature sausage, pancakes and belgium waffles with strawberries and beverages. Cost for the meal will be $5 for adults and $3 for children ages 6 to 12 six through twelve and children under age 6 can eat free. There will also be a craft show and vendor tables for the show are still available. To reserve at table, call 724-423-8558.
• Esther's Crew, an American Heart Association Relay for Life team is planning a one-day bus trip that will take participants to the Harrisburg Christmas Craft show. The trip will take place Dec. 6. Cost for the trip will be $65 which will include transportation and admission to the show. For information call 724-547-5839.
• The Viking Football Country Parents Club will hold a Football Funny Night at the Kecksburg Volunteer Fire Hall Saturday. Doors will open at 5 p.m. and the entertainment will begin at 8 p.m. Tickets for the event will be $20 and will include dinner, refreshments and the show. For information, call 724-423-1846.
My dear friend Michelle Weir wishes to send out happy anniversary wishes to her husband, Bill. The two celebrated 25 years together Oct. 13. Happy anniversary and my wishes for many more.
If you have an item for this column, e-mail: email@example.com.
Have a great week.
Show commenting policy