TribLIVE

| News

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Death by electrocution

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Letters home ...

Traveling abroad for personal, educational or professional reasons?

Why not share your impressions — and those of residents of foreign countries about the United States — with Trib readers in 150 words?

The world's a big place. Bring it home with Letters Home.

Contact Colin McNickle (412-320-7836 or cmcnickle@tribweb.com).

Daily Photo Galleries

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008
 

Staff Sgt. Ryan Maseth, of Shaler, was a senseless victim of our misguided misadventure in Iraq. But it was not an IED that took the Green Beret's life in Baghdad on Jan. 2. It was an electrocution - a very preventable electrocution.

Maseth, 24, died in the shower, his heart stopped by a power surge that traveled along pipes and water, caused by an improperly grounded electric pump. And Maseth was not the first to die at a U.S. facility in Iraq because of shoddy electrical work.

According to a government report, at least 13 other American soldiers and civilians have died and 19 have been injured in Iraq since 2003 while taking showers, swimming in pools or doing basic maintenance with power washers.

It's easy to blame the faulty Chinese electrical system involved in Maseth's death or to pin blame on defense contractor KBR Services, which operates the military bases where the electrocutions occurred.

But the ultimate responsibility rests with U.S. military leadership. In 2004, after five soldiers were electrocuted, an Army report urged that experts inspect all electrical systems in Iraq.

Tragic accidents happen in war. But Sgt. Maseth's death mocks the definition of "accident." That he and others died because of something as rudimentary as "improper grounding" is not a shame. It's criminal negligence.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read News