Verona shootout caused more than $64,000 in damage
By Brian Bowling
Published: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 10:42 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, July 12, 2012
A man who fired more than 20 rounds at FBI agents in October during a three-hour standoff in Verona caused $64,266.28 in damage to surrounding homes and FBI vehicles, according to a court document filed Thursday.
Frank Perez Jr., 31, pleaded guilty in March to assault on a federal officer and using a firearm to commit a violent crime. U.S. District Judge Nora Barry Fischer has scheduled his sentencing for Aug. 7.
The judge on Thursday said in her pre-sentence findings that the FBI has paid the $64,266.28 in claims to people whose property is damaged and repairs to its own vehicles.
She also calculated that the recommended sentence for the assault charge is between four years and three months and five years and three months. The firearm charge carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years, which has to be consecutive to any other sentence, the judge said.
The FBI showed up at the house to arrest Perez because he was wanted in connection with the 1999 fatal shooting of Jose Pena Jr., 24, in Whiting, Ind., and on a 2002 federal fugitive warrant from the Northern District of Indiana.
Brian Bowling is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-325-4301 or email@example.com
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Starter Liriano impressive again as Pirates blank Cubs
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Crossing guard protected kids, nurtured animals
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Pirates notebook: Morton could be back in early June
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.