Corbett denies lack of manpower on case
HARRISBURG — Gov. Tom Corbett, the former attorney general who started the Jerry Sandusky investigation, said Thursday it's “absolutely false” that he assigned only one investigator to the case while tying up most resources in public corruption investigations.
In a news conference after the release of former FBI Director Louis Freeh's report, Corbett defended the state's criminal investigation for taking “a monster off the street.”
He disputed the claim about one investigator that news media frequently reported since Sandusky's arrest in November. A jury last month convicted Sandusky, 68, the former Penn State football defensive coordinator, of 45 charges of molesting 10 young boys over 15 years.
Corbett, a Republican from Shaler, said the office assigned Anthony Sassano and Randy Feathers, two Bureau of Narcotics agents who used to be police officers, to the Sandusky case.
The Tribune-Review could not reach Feathers or Sassano.
When he became governor in January 2011, Corbett said he assigned more state police resources to the case.
Appearing at an event at the Pennsylvania Farm Show building, Corbett said he had not read the Freeh report but planned to do so Thursday night.
The governor, often criticized for a three-year investigation, became agitated when a reporter asked whether the report made him reflect that he could have done things differently, including finishing the investigation more quickly.
“Why are you all obsessed with that? It's been answered over and over and over again … 45 of 48 counts. We do not hold up investigations for anything. You are disparaging the reputation of men and women in that office who have worked very hard to get results and take a monster off the street,” he said.
To continually ask that question is “out of line,” he said.
Corbett said agents needed time to thoroughly investigate and present a jury with 10 cases of abuse. Presenting one case would not have worked, he said.
Brad Bumsted is state Capitol reporter for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 717-787-1405 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.