Electrical problem blamed for smoke in Pittsburgh skyscraper
By Matthew Santoni
Published: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 10:52 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, February 6, 2013
An apparent electrical problem caused a small explosion and filled the upper floors of a Downtown high-rise with thin, acrid smoke Sunday night, Pittsburgh firefighters said.
Firefighters were called to the 21-story Investment Building in the 200 block of Fourth Avenue around 10 p.m. for reports of an explosion and fire. Assistant Chief Tom Cook said an apparent electrical problem on the seventh floor was responsible for the smoke, although the damage was not extensive and no one was injured.
Nancy Schaefer was on the top floor of the building working late on payroll for the Student Conservation Association when she smelled the smoke. When she found the stairwell full of smoke, she said, she was afraid she was trapped.
“There was a lot of smoke in the stairwell, which, if you're on the top floor, well... I guess I got a little panicked,” said Schaefer, 52, of the Central North Side.
Firefighters evacuated the lower floors of the building and made sure the electrical problem had not sparked a fire, then cleared the scene by 10:30. Arson investigators were then called to the scene.
Matthew Santoni is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5625 or email@example.com.
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Plan for loft apartments receives approval
- Pitt gets commits from QB, local RB
- Shiites target of Syrian extremists
- UN says nearly 93,000 killed in Syrian conflict
- Egyptians no longer to tolerate ‘cultural desecration’
- Pittsburgh’s Schwartz’s is reborn as a Living Market on the South Side
- Highmark to extend self-insurance plans to small businesses
- Morton, quick start propel Pirates past Reds
- Former president of Derry Area Football Boosters Club charged with stealing $27,000 from group
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.