Hiker and Zippy the dog leave Laurel Ridge State Park after becoming lost
A 73-year-old Pittsburgh woman spent the night in Laurel Ridge State Park with her dog after they lost their bearings, according to Park Manager Michael Mumau.
Jane Connelly was found Friday morning by a search group and left with her family and dog, Zippy, Mumau said.
“She's a very fit, very experienced hiker,” he said.
Connelly and a male companion were hiking along the Laurel Highlands Trail in the Fayette County area of park Thursday when they became separated. When she didn't return to a vehicle at a pre-designated time, search teams were deployed Thursday evening, Mumau said.
“She had become disoriented as to which direction she was heading” and by the time she gained her bearings, it grew dark so she camped out, he said.
“Last night, with all things considered, was a good night for that to happen,” Mumau said.
The temperature dipped into the upper 50s overnight, according to the National Weather Service.
High temperatures for the weekend are expected to reach the 50s with lows reaching into the 30s.
Mumau praised the search groups for coming together quickly. Members of the search groups included Connelly's family, two local fire departments, state police, local search and rescue teams and the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.
“When someone needs help, there's a tremendous outpouring of rescue parties in the Laurel Highland region,” he said.
Renatta Signorini is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-837-5374 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Allegheny County will stop asking about employees’ criminal history, Fitzgerald says
- Connellsville wrestlers hope to meet program’s standard of excellence
- Lower gasoline prices fail to spur consumer spending
- DUI checkpoints take on dangerous drivers
- Roundup: Mazda recalls cars to fix tire pressure monitors; Wal-Mart’s top merchant out as key holiday nears; more
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- No. 15 San Diego State hammers Pitt, 74-57
- Steel Valley plans to play up-tempo under 1st-year coach Schifino
- FDA rule to require chain restaurants to post calorie counts
- Young Steel Valley players looking for experience
- U.S. Steel Tower tenants stand to benefit from company’s relocation