Butler County agrees to pay for assistant DA position
By Bill Vidonic
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2012, 12:54 p.m.
A suspended employee of the Butler County District Attorney's Office faces a disciplinary hearing on Thursday regarding accusations that she improperly handled paperwork that led to the loss of a $400,000 federal grant.
The county's salary board, in a 3-2 split, agreed Wednesday to pick up the cost of a full-time assistant district attorney position, threatened with elimination because of the error.
The county will pay the salary and benefits of Assistant District Attorney Richard J. Bosco, which District Attorney Richard Goldinger estimates to be $110,000 annually.
Goldinger warned the salary board that losing one of seven assistant district attorney positions would cause a court-case backlog and more time in jail for defendants awaiting legal proceedings.
The county is growing, “yet we're losing personnel,” Goldinger told members. “We're sending a bad message to the people of Butler County.”
Linda Cranmer, 52, the district attorney employee facing discipline, remains suspended without pay. She did not return a phone message Wednesday seeking comment. She earns $15.86 an hour.
The $400,000 grant, paid over two years, was to cover about 90 percent of Bosco's salary and benefits; the county was to pay the other 10 percent.
Goldinger, a member of the salary board with Commissioners William McCarrier and A. Dale Pinkerton, agreed to pay for the position from the county's general fund. Commissioner James Eckstein and Controller Jack McMillin voted against it.
Goldinger said Cranmer led him to believe the grant paperwork was submitted on time; federal officials notified him it was not.
The county's Victim Outreach Intervention Center was to get about $170,000 from the grant. McCarrier said its funding will be discussed during ongoing talks for the 2013 budget.
Goldinger said his office is appealing the loss of the grant and could obtain it next year.
Bill Vidonic is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5621 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.