Judge orders trial in Everson teen's shooting during 'bad drug deal'

Mary Pickels
| Friday, Oct. 26, 2012, 12:01 a.m.

A Mt. Pleasant teen charged with shooting and wounding an Everson teen during a drug deal will stand trial.

Keenan Dwayne Frye, 18, was ordered held for court on attempted homicide and related charges by District Judge Roger Eckels.

The charges stem from an Oct. 17 altercation in which Joshua Grimm, 18, alleges he was shot in the shoulder and the left side by Frye. Grimm testified at Frye's hearing before Eckels Thursday.

Grimm said he texted Frye and arranged to meet him the evening of the shooting.

“I was going to get something off him,” Grimm said.

“We got in a scuffle or whatever. I went to take him down. He was on the ground, on his back. I was standing up. I was getting ready to hit him. I never seen the gun. I got shot. I was bleeding and my whole arm went numb,” Grimm said.

A friend transported Grimm to Excela Health Frick Hospital and he was later flown to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh, where he was discharged a day later.

He said he has nerve damage to his left arm, but he expects to fully recover.

Grimm said he recalled Dan Zilli, the borough's assistant police chief, interviewing him at Excela Frick soon after the shooting.

“I told him it was a bad drug deal,” Grimm said.

Defense attorney Emily Smarto asked Grimm if he had planned to harm Frye that evening.

“Sort of. I was planning on fighting him,” Grimm said.

“Were you planning to use a gun or your fists?” Smarto asked.

“My fists,” Grimm said.

“Did you bring Mace with you and Mace Keenan?” Smarto asked.

“Yes,” Grimm said.

He denied taking a gun to the scene.

Westmoreland County Detective Tony Marcocci testified he found a “smashed canister” of Mace at the scene of the shooting.

Marcocci, who interviewed several witnesses hours after the shooting, said state police took Frye to the borough police station early on the morning of Oct. 18 after he was found walking along Route 31 between Mt. Pleasant and Ruffsdale.

Marcocci said a trooper showed him a backpack Frye was carrying. The bag contained a loaded Smith & Wesson .38-caliber revolver and numerous spent rounds, along with a digital scale and several Baggies of marijuana.

Zilli testified earlier that no spent shells were recovered at the scene.

Frye was returned to the Westmoreland County Prison, where he is being held on $150,000 bond.

Mary Pickels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-5401 or mpickels@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.



Show commenting policy