AG to deal with papers abandoned at Monsour
By Amanda Dolasinski
Published: Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
The state Attorney General's Office will determine the best way to secure patient records left in the abandoned Monsour Medical Center complex in Jeannette.
“We've been in contact with Sen. Kim Ward's office,” said Nils Frederiksen, spokesman for the Attorney General's Office. “We're aware of the issue and working to identify the best way to secure records and move forward from there.”
Federal officials are investigating how patient records containing intimate medical details and physicians' personnel files were abandoned amid the ruins of Monsour Medical Center when its administrators walked away from the failed hospital six years ago.
Ward, R-Hempfield, called the latest effort to seize the records a “relief.”
“The records are laying in there — anybody can go get them,” she said. “There are Social Security numbers in there — that's awful.”
Michael Monsour, CEO of the hospital when it closed, went to the stone house annex on the property Wednesday to remove financial records.
He told the Tribune-Review he properly secured the records and sealed the buildings to meet federal regulations. He said he did not realize the stone house building had been broken into until he read a newspaper article.
He did not remove any medical records from the annex Wednesday, he said.
Amanda Dolasinski is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-6220 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.