TribLIVE

| News


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Fire that left Westmoreland man injured ruled accidental

Daily Photo Galleries

Friday, Nov. 9, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
 

A house fire in Cook Township last week that left the occupant with burns and other injuries has been ruled accidental by a state police fire marshal.

The fire that caused $65,000 in damage to the home of Michael Hirko, 63, Route 130, Stahlstown, started at 5:35 a.m. Oct. 30 when a plastic outlet in a first-floor pantry overheated from an electric heater, according to Trooper Jake Andolina.

Hirko's trachea and lungs were burned, and he suffered other injuries when he fell off a rear porch roof where he had jumped from a second-floor window, Andolina said.

Hirko was treated at Excela Latrobe Hospital and was transferred to UPMC Mercy Hospital's burn unit in Pittsburgh. He has been released from the hospital, Andolina said.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Stories

  1. DUI checkpoints take on dangerous drivers
  2. Membership fees predicted for continued Heritage van use in the Mon Valley
  3. Former Clairton resident killed
  4. McKeesport Area, South Allegheny, Elizabeth Forward musicians head to holiday parades
  5. Lost election inspires South Allegheny student’s clothing project
  6. Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
  7. Roundup: Mazda recalls cars to fix tire pressure monitors; Wal-Mart’s top merchant out as key holiday nears; more
  8. Casey supports food donation tax break extension
  9. No. 15 San Diego State hammers Pitt, 74-57
  10. Steelers’ lookahead: New Orleans Saints
  11. Ehrhoff finding his way with Penguins
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.