Connellsville businesses asked to decorate their windows
By Nancy Henry
Published: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 10:13 p.m.
Updated: Friday, March 29, 2013
When shopping in Connellsville this holiday season, people should notice colorfully decorated windows and storefronts at many businesses.
“Believe in Connellsville” is sponsoring a decorating contest to help celebrate the Christmas season.
The program encourages business owners to decorate their storefronts and windows quickly in time for Connellsville's Light-up Night on Saturday.
Festivities include the Christmas parade, Santa and fireworks — and the beauty of glittering windows and storefronts.
Businesses will become a destination point during Downtown Connellsville's “It's A Connellsville Christmas” on Dec. 1-2, as well as holiday activities Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 at the community center.
Several businesses already have their windows decorated for holiday shoppers and passing traffic:
• Atkins Music Center, on West Crawford Avenue, has sparkling white lights with poinsettias and musical instruments, including a drum representing the Little Drummer Boy.
Store owner Denise Friel changes her business' appearance each year.
• ArtWorks Connellsville has some of the creations of its 80 local artisans displayed. Plentiful holiday gifts are available.
• The new T&A House of Treasures features holiday decor in all the window displays of furniture and collectibles.
• Connellsville Community Ministries displays some of the items for sale in its Christmas Room.
• Hobbys ‘n Stuff and Pat's Bridal each have displays of holiday merchandise.
• La Boheme, Lid'l Lyn's and Spotto's are just a few of the businesses that already have decorated for the Christmas season.
A decorating contest is open to all businesses around town.
“We hope everyone will do their part in helping to add joy to the community at Christmas time with any and all types of decorations. Both businesses and residences do a fantastic job in decorating. We just thought we would like to recognize a business this year with a plaque for the one chosen as the winner,” said Judy Keller, an organizer of “Believe in Connellsville”
“We are already considering expanding the contest next year for homeowners to participate for a plaque in the residential category” she said.
“We encourage every business to participate to help boost community spirit. Economic times are challenging for everyone, but our community is strong and has endured hardships in the past. The glow from our community will shine all season long,” Keller said.
“Let's make this year's ‘It's a Connellsville Christmas' bigger, brighter and better,” said Sheryl Craven, also an organizer of the decorating contest.
Judging will take place on Dec. 15. Factors are illumination, creativity, imagination, originality and preparation.
Businesses planning to participate should call the committee at 724-628-3639 or 724-628-1513.
“Yes, Virginia, there is a Connellsville,” said Keller.
Nancy Henry is a freelance writer.
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.