TribLIVE

| News

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Cigarette sparks fire in Gateway school building

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

By Bobby Kerlik
Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012, 7:58 p.m.
 

Gateway High School students were evacuated Thursday when a small fire broke out in an adjacent building that houses the district's sports complex.

The fire broke out about 1:45 p.m. in the second-floor women's bathroom in the Furrie Sports Complex, said Kevin Bacco, Monroeville Fire Co. No. 4 assistant chief. He said sprinklers had extinguished the fire by the time firefighters arrived.

Gateway spokeswoman Cara Zanella said the fire was started when a student dropped a lit cigarette into a wastebasket. School officials used hall cameras to determine who was in the bathroom and said one student will be facing discipline.

The complex houses the main gym, the pool, and classrooms, among other facilities. No one was hurt, officials said.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read News