Beaver County eliminates two jury commissioners
Beaver County commissioners this week eliminated two jury commissioner positions.
The county expects to save $50,000 a year, officials said. The court administrator's office will assume the commissioners' duties, including mailing summonses to potential jurors.
Jury Commissioners Peggy Rose and Shelly Blythe will serve out their terms until the end of 2013.
Pennsylvania counties face a Dec. 31 deadline to decide whether to keep or eliminate jury commissioners. In 2011, the Legislature gave counties authority to eliminate jury commissioners, but the Pennsylvania Association of Jury Commissioners appealed to the state Supreme Court. A decision is pending.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police seize phones of some Norwin High School students
- Alleged abuse by Franciscan friar nets $8M for 88 former students
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Tomlin: Possible Steelers midseason surge won’t come easy vs. Colts
- East Huntingdon man, 91, finds 2nd career as a woodworker
- Cranberry: Construction restrictions lifted on Route 228
- 7 in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- 8 selected thus far for jury in Ferrante trial
- Business Gallery, Oct. 19, 2014
- Hundreds mourn Pittsburgh trash collector killed by gunfire
- Grant to help CMU spinoff start production