Wilkinsburg man shot and killed after urinating off porch
A man who urinated off a second-floor porch died when someone below sprayed bullets up at him late Tuesday, Allegheny County Police said.
Roosevelt Robinson, 35, of Wilkinsburg was playing dominoes with friends on a second-floor portico at a home on Franklin Avenue when he decided to relieve himself over the side railing about 11 p.m., police said.
Witnesses heard a voice yell, “Yo! Yo!” from below before someone fired shots, striking Robinson once. He died in UPMC Mercy.
“I don't think I have ever encountered anything like this,” Lt. Andrew Schurman said.
Longtime friend Kyle Holbrook, 34, of Homewood who worked with Robinson on community service projects said, “I never met anybody like him. ... He was a good guy. He's not just some guy that got killed in some community.”
Customers at nearby Hanini Market talked about the shooting throughout the day, manager Tony Abed said. He said one woman broke down when she heard the news.
“It's shocking,” Abed said. “It's sad, honestly. It goes to show that in the blink of the eye, a life can be taken.”
Leah Drolz, who lived near Robinson on Hunter Street, sobbed as she remembered him as a good man and father.
“All I can keep picturing is his grin,” Drolz said. “He was a good dude. He always made me smile.”
Police believe the shooter was between two houses on Franklin, a path neighbors said people use as a cut-through. Investigators found rolling papers in the area.
Richard Stephens, 62, who lives across the street, said he heard about four gunshots. He said public urination is common at the house.
“That's nothing new,” Stephens said. “The people have a lot of visitors. ... They take a leak wherever they can whenever they can. I wish they wouldn't when I'm sitting out on my porch.”
Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call 412-473-1300.
Margaret Harding is a staff writerfor Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Staff member Stephanie Strasburg contributed.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man dies in jump from Route 130 overpass onto passing tractor-trailer in Hempfield
- Starkey: Penguins’ season impressive so far
- Penguins a love affair for Evancho sisters
- Pitt football team working to fatten up QB sack total on defense
- Hornqvist’s net-front presence with Penguins could be valuable asset
- Pirates’ search for division title rests on starting rotation’s health
- Police investigate pair of fatal rush hour incidents in Shaler, Marshall
- Pa. court upholds prosecutor appointed to investigate leaks from AG’s office
- Latrobe ear-biting suspect loses bid for reduced bail
- Request for documents delays Speedway hearing in Unity
- Pittsburgh Police charge Allentown couple with abusing pit bull puppy