Fire heavily damages home in Squirrel Hill
A fire caused extensive damage to the basement and first floor of a two-story home along Forbes Terrace on Wednesday afternoon but nobody was injured, according fire officials.
The two-alarm fire in one of the buildings in the multi-unit housing complex across from the Jewish Community Center started in the basement and caused structural, smoke and water damage, said deputy Chief Michael Mullen.
The homeowner, who was in the house when the fire started about 4:15 p.m., is staying with friends, Mullen said.
Traffic was restricted for several hours along Forbes between Murray Avenue and Wightman Street.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Polamalu could be next in long line of Steelers greats given unceremonial exit
- Over the falls — Cucumber Falls that is — go 3 kayakers in OhioPyle
- Wolf reverses Corbett, says deal between Highmark, UPMC doesn’t limit continuity of care to very ill
- Penguins’ Lovejoy embracing defensive pairing with Pouliot
- Weather continues to cause crashes, public transportation delays
- Rossi: Kang would benefit from less attention
- Football star’s mom embraced life with gusto
- Federal jury says gas company shorted owners on royalties
- Experts: Clinton took dangerous path with email system
- Pitt coach Narduzzi wants star RB Conner to focus on offense
- Penguins notebook: Road trip increases in difficulty