Wilkinsburg man killed in Monroeville crash
It's unclear why a Wilkinsburg man drove across the center line and crashed into an oncoming vehicle, killing himself and injuring five others, Allegheny County Police said Friday.
Francis Spearman, 74, lost control of his vehicle and crashed head-on into another just before 8 p.m. Thursday at Saunders Station and Abers Creek roads in Monroeville, according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office. He died at UPMC Mercy, Uptown.
Two passengers in his vehicle were hurt, as was the driver and two of his passengers in the other vehicle, Lt. Andrew Schurman said. None of the injuries were serious, he said.
Police are investigating why Spearman crossed the center line as he headed eastbound on Saunders, Schurman said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins GM prepares for emotional series against Carolina
- Heart stent implanted, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg goes home
- Pryor’s 22 points lead Robert Morris past Louisiana-Monroe
- Police identify driver in North Side crash that killed pregnant woman
- Icy roads, bridges trigger minor accidents in Western Pennsylvania
- Phipps holiday show is flowery winter wonderland
- 3 sets of siblings help Greensburg Central Catholic volleyball achieve championship success
- Youngwood gets 1st full-size grocery in nearly 20 years
- Aerobics center offers services to Greensburg VFD
- ‘Scorpion’ stars marvel at what’s possible
- Historic Greensburg Art Center joins Cat’s Meow collection