Wilkinsburg man killed in Monroeville crash
It's unclear why a Wilkinsburg man drove across the center line and crashed into an oncoming vehicle, killing himself and injuring five others, Allegheny County Police said Friday.
Francis Spearman, 74, lost control of his vehicle and crashed head-on into another just before 8 p.m. Thursday at Saunders Station and Abers Creek roads in Monroeville, according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office. He died at UPMC Mercy, Uptown.
Two passengers in his vehicle were hurt, as was the driver and two of his passengers in the other vehicle, Lt. Andrew Schurman said. None of the injuries were serious, he said.
Police are investigating why Spearman crossed the center line as he headed eastbound on Saunders, Schurman said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ Malkin: ‘We’re not a championship team’
- Rossi: Crosby, Malkin didn’t sign on for this
- Fleury valiant in defeat
- Penguins eliminated with Game 5 overtime loss to Rangers
- High school roundup: Mt. Lebanon rolls to victory
- Alle-Kiski roundup: Knoch sophomore Geist wins shot put at Penn Relays
- Safety Collins seeks to buck Alabama DB trend
- Burgess’ rivals for Pittsburgh council nomination owe money to government
- First Amendment experts decry Plum authorities’ warning to students
- West Virginia QB audition ‘not even close’
- 2 Hempfield Area students charged with sexting