Former Allegheny County Jail guard will go to trial in March
A federal judge on Wednesday scheduled the criminal prosecution of a former Allegheny County Jail guard for March 18.
A federal grand jury indicted Arii Metz, 34, of the North Side on charges of depriving David Kipp, 26, of Polish Hill, of his civil rights during an Oct. 12, 2010, incident at the jail. Metz beat Kipp in a jail cell during an encounter, prosecutors said.
James Wymard, Kipp's lawyer, and Assistant U.S. Attorney Shaun Sweeney told U.S. District Judge Nora Barry Fischer the trial will include about six days of testimony. Fischer also ruled on several routine pretrial motions.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers re-sign WR Heyward-Bey to 1-year deal
- Alone at controls, co-pilot sought to ‘destroy’ the plane
- Pitt adds quarterback recruit from Cincinnati
- 3 names removed from Springdale ballot
- Allegheny DA to seek death penalty in Crawford Village homicide
- OSHA fines East Deer company in aftermath of worker’s electrocution
- Aliquippa student caught bringing gun to school
- Washington County probation officer sues for being fired after talking to investigators
- Ford City woman injured in crash
- Conventions for barbershop quartets, police, veterans visiting Pittsburgh in 2015
- Pittsburgh abortion clinic buffer zone fight moves to appeals court