Gas leak closes 16th Street Bridge
The 16th Street Bridge was closed on Friday night so crews could repair a natural gas leak along Smallman Street in the Strip District caused when a contractor struck a line.
The leak appeared to be coming from a main line along Smallman, said Scott Waitlevertch, a spokesman for Equitable Gas Co., adding that no customers were adversely affected.
Officials said work was expected to be completed by morning.
The 16th Street Bridge spans the Allegheny River to the North Side and carries about 15,000 vehicles a day, according to PennDOT data.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Newcomers get 1st taste of rivalry with Flyers
- Allegheny County committee to hear about Ebola readiness
- Steelers dial up 2-point play for Brown’s TD toss
- Steelers’ defense rebounds after shaky 1st quarter, forces Texans into mistakes
- Penn State notebook: Dieffenbach might return to help Lions’ offensive line
- 12 selected for jury in Ferrante cyanide-poisoning trial
- Injured Pitt center Rowell plays well-rounded role on campus
- 7 in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- Police seize phones of some Norwin High School students
- Expert: Stress level rises for Americans who forfeit vacation
- Stocks rally; S&P 500 has best day of 2014