Gas leak closes 16th Street Bridge
By Tom Fontaine
Published: Friday, Oct. 12, 2012, 6:42 p.m.
The 16th Street Bridge was closed on Friday night so crews could repair a natural gas leak along Smallman Street in the Strip District caused when a contractor struck a line.
The leak appeared to be coming from a main line along Smallman, said Scott Waitlevertch, a spokesman for Equitable Gas Co., adding that no customers were adversely affected.
Officials said work was expected to be completed by morning.
The 16th Street Bridge spans the Allegheny River to the North Side and carries about 15,000 vehicles a day, according to PennDOT data.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Orpik: Penguins must keep their cool
- Penguins’ Bylsma wants Cup version of Letang
- Pirates trade for Mets 1B Davis
- City’s efforts bolstered to track illegal dumping
- Rossi: Pens sticking to power-play plan
- Latrobe woman texts searchers in Linn Run State Park to tell them she’s OK
- Blue Jackets goalie Bobrovsky turns page, focuses on Game 2
- Investment in Western Pa. startups reaches 5-year high
- Pirates fall short against Brewers as Alvarez struggles
- Gorman: Can Mike Tyson save boxing?
- Dems in Pa. governor’s race vow to close loophole, say firms skirt corporate tax