Gas leak closes 16th Street Bridge
By Tom Fontaine
Published: Friday, October 12, 2012, 6:42 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, February 6, 2013
The 16th Street Bridge was closed on Friday night so crews could repair a natural gas leak along Smallman Street in the Strip District caused when a contractor struck a line.
The leak appeared to be coming from a main line along Smallman, said Scott Waitlevertch, a spokesman for Equitable Gas Co., adding that no customers were adversely affected.
Officials said work was expected to be completed by morning.
The 16th Street Bridge spans the Allegheny River to the North Side and carries about 15,000 vehicles a day, according to PennDOT data.
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Morsy scorned for appointment of ‘terrorist’
- Morton, quick start propel Pirates past Reds
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- College teacher training found in study to be ‘industry of mediocrity’ harming educational system
- Former president of Derry Area Football Boosters Club charged with stealing $27,000 from group
- Interest in Jack the Ripper inspires California writer’s novel
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Pagan’s lawyer seeks info
- Officer hurt while chasing suspect in Oakland
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.