Gas leak closes 16th Street Bridge
The 16th Street Bridge was closed on Friday night so crews could repair a natural gas leak along Smallman Street in the Strip District caused when a contractor struck a line.
The leak appeared to be coming from a main line along Smallman, said Scott Waitlevertch, a spokesman for Equitable Gas Co., adding that no customers were adversely affected.
Officials said work was expected to be completed by morning.
The 16th Street Bridge spans the Allegheny River to the North Side and carries about 15,000 vehicles a day, according to PennDOT data.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police: Escaped Armstrong County inmate armed, dangerous homicide suspect
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Inside the Steelers: Rookie linebacker Chickillo continues to excel
- Steelers’ reserve quarterbacks vie to secure spot behind Roethlisberger, Gradkowski
- Warrant issued for man accused of killing Brookline woman
- Steelers stress improved conditioning in attempt to play past injuries
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Heyl: Longtime disc jockey Jimmy Roach to turn dismissal into brighter times
- Emails among Governor Wolf’s aides reveal concern over AG Kane
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin says Latrobe session won’t differ from normal practice