Detoured Parkway East traffic moves slowly
Traffic detoured from the Parkway East on Satuday afternoon crawled toward along South Braddock Avenue in the city's East End, along a route created by the closure of the inbound side of the Squirrel Hill Tunnels.
The closure and detour via the Edgewood-Swissvale exit of the Parkway East to South Braddock Avenue continues until 5 a.m. Monday.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation at 9 p.m. Friday closed the westbound side of the tunnels for the fifth time this year as part of a $49.5 million renovation of the tunnels. The project includes raising ceilings and improving lighting. The 4,225-foot-long tunnels opened in 1953. There are no restrictions outbound, where traffic moved smoothly.
For more information about detours and traffic conditions visit PennDOT's website via http://bit.ly/LIbhRR and select the “Squirrel Hill Tunnel Rehabilitation Project” link on the right.
Jeremy Boren is a reporter for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7935 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rogue Catholics in Society of St. Pius X to reopen West End church
- Norwin High School health teacher charged with selling heroin
- Eagle egg breaks, parents abandon nest
- Lombardi leads IUP to brink of men’s basketball national title
- Trooper severely injured when hit by own car
- MLB commissioner: Pirates’ success starts in the front office
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Region’s Goodwill spends $51.6M in 2014, report says
- Couple taken into custody after 8-hour standoff in Hempfield
- Players respect coach, refuse to blame Johnston
- Malkin, Hornqvist return to Penguins lineup vs. Coyotes