Detoured Parkway East traffic moves slowly
By Jeremy Boren
Published: Saturday, November 3, 2012, 3:38 p.m.
Updated: Saturday, November 3, 2012
Traffic detoured from the Parkway East on Satuday afternoon crawled toward along South Braddock Avenue in the city's East End, along a route created by the closure of the inbound side of the Squirrel Hill Tunnels.
The closure and detour via the Edgewood-Swissvale exit of the Parkway East to South Braddock Avenue continues until 5 a.m. Monday.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation at 9 p.m. Friday closed the westbound side of the tunnels for the fifth time this year as part of a $49.5 million renovation of the tunnels. The project includes raising ceilings and improving lighting. The 4,225-foot-long tunnels opened in 1953. There are no restrictions outbound, where traffic moved smoothly.
For more information about detours and traffic conditions visit PennDOT's website via http://bit.ly/LIbhRR and select the “Squirrel Hill Tunnel Rehabilitation Project” link on the right.
Jeremy Boren is a reporter for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7935 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pens’ Bylsma: Vitale scratch due to faceoff performance
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Mayoral nominee Peduto plans city hall house-cleaning if he’s elected
- Penguins Insider: Time is right for Jokinen’s return
- Neal’s solid play soon could pay off on scoresheet for Penguins
- Pitt baseball team wins Big East Tournament opener
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Judge grants former Pittsburgh police Chief Harper permission to leave state for visit
- Washington police recover stolen gun, arrest four for drugs
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.