Detoured Parkway East traffic moves slowly
By Jeremy Boren
Published: Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012, 3:38 p.m.
Traffic detoured from the Parkway East on Satuday afternoon crawled toward along South Braddock Avenue in the city's East End, along a route created by the closure of the inbound side of the Squirrel Hill Tunnels.
The closure and detour via the Edgewood-Swissvale exit of the Parkway East to South Braddock Avenue continues until 5 a.m. Monday.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation at 9 p.m. Friday closed the westbound side of the tunnels for the fifth time this year as part of a $49.5 million renovation of the tunnels. The project includes raising ceilings and improving lighting. The 4,225-foot-long tunnels opened in 1953. There are no restrictions outbound, where traffic moved smoothly.
For more information about detours and traffic conditions visit PennDOT's website via http://bit.ly/LIbhRR and select the “Squirrel Hill Tunnel Rehabilitation Project” link on the right.
Jeremy Boren is a reporter for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7935 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mail for IRS delivered to Squirrel Hill home
- North Versailles, Murrysville families still waiting for report on 2011 chopper crash that killed couple
- Philanthropist helps waitress become nurse
- Pitt QB Savage turns down NYC invite to NFL Draft
- Penguins’ Bylsma wants Cup version of Letang
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Stewart activated; Sanchez demoted
- Drug crime reclassification to help ex-cons get vote rights
- Youngster falls over hillside in Churchill
- Burlesque dancer searches for missing infant, friend’s killer in ‘Frog Music’
- Management company to pump up Regatta at Lake Arthur weekend
- Outdoor notices: April 19