Detoured Parkway East traffic moves slowly
Traffic detoured from the Parkway East on Satuday afternoon crawled toward along South Braddock Avenue in the city's East End, along a route created by the closure of the inbound side of the Squirrel Hill Tunnels.
The closure and detour via the Edgewood-Swissvale exit of the Parkway East to South Braddock Avenue continues until 5 a.m. Monday.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation at 9 p.m. Friday closed the westbound side of the tunnels for the fifth time this year as part of a $49.5 million renovation of the tunnels. The project includes raising ceilings and improving lighting. The 4,225-foot-long tunnels opened in 1953. There are no restrictions outbound, where traffic moved smoothly.
For more information about detours and traffic conditions visit PennDOT's website via http://bit.ly/LIbhRR and select the “Squirrel Hill Tunnel Rehabilitation Project” link on the right.
Jeremy Boren is a reporter for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7935 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Injured Penguins optimistic about returning next season
- Coach Johnston trying to figure out why Penguins ‘fell off a cliff’
- Protest planned Monday at Plum Borough High School
- Crosby, Malkin want to remain in Pittsburgh
- Behind starter Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Diamondbacks
- Pirates notebook: Wainwright injury doesn’t sway Hurdle on DH
- Counselors available at Hempfield after crash kills student
- Washington’s Shelton grows into big role, looks forward to draft
- Hempfield teen hurt in single-vehicle crash
- Oak Ridge couple transforms 1820 house into quaint bed and breakfast
- Forbes Avenue jeweler’s embedded sidewalk sign safely slides out to make way for Pittsburgh Playhouse project