Detoured Parkway East traffic moves slowly
Traffic detoured from the Parkway East on Satuday afternoon crawled toward along South Braddock Avenue in the city's East End, along a route created by the closure of the inbound side of the Squirrel Hill Tunnels.
The closure and detour via the Edgewood-Swissvale exit of the Parkway East to South Braddock Avenue continues until 5 a.m. Monday.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation at 9 p.m. Friday closed the westbound side of the tunnels for the fifth time this year as part of a $49.5 million renovation of the tunnels. The project includes raising ceilings and improving lighting. The 4,225-foot-long tunnels opened in 1953. There are no restrictions outbound, where traffic moved smoothly.
For more information about detours and traffic conditions visit PennDOT's website via http://bit.ly/LIbhRR and select the “Squirrel Hill Tunnel Rehabilitation Project” link on the right.
Jeremy Boren is a reporter for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7935 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fans out in force to rally for beloved Bucs
- Road crews are dealing with oil and sealant spills on roadways
- Wolf still seeking to raise income tax, impose tax on shale-gas drilling
- Penguins rally in wake of Dupuis injury
- New Steelers kicker Boswell ready for challenge at Heinz
- Steelers’ Bryant returns from drug suspension, ‘won’t happen again’
- Starkey: Searage, Pirates ultra-confident
- WVU coach Holgorsen expects QB Howard to bounce back
- Scaife estate overpaid state taxes by $10M, return filed Monday states
- Steelers notebook: Shazier practices, hopes to play Monday at Chargers
- LaBar: WWE should move Daniel Bryan to part-time