Woman drops lawsuit against Penn Hills police officers
By Brian Bowling
Published: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 4:46 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, November 14, 2012
A woman on Wednesday dropped a federal police brutality lawsuit against three Penn Hills officers, a lawyer for the officers and municipality said.
Noreda Young, 43, address unavailable, claimed that officers Dennis Wynn, Bernard Sestili and William Klobucher twisted her arm violently, breaking it in three places, when they arrested her in January 2010 at another person's home. The officers denied Young's version of events.
Young was living in Dormont when she filed the lawsuit in January. When Pittsburgh police arrested her on Oct. 4 for drunken driving, fleeing police and other charges, she provided an address whose zip code places it in the Lawrenceville/Stanton Heights area, according to state court records.
U.S. District Judge Arthur Schwab on Wednesday dismissed Young's claims against the municipality and the three officers in their official capacity but said she could continue to pursue claims against the officers as individuals. Attorneys for both sides filed a motion dismissing those claims as well.
Ed Joyal, the lawyer for the municipality and the officers, confirmed that there was no settlement. Noah Geary, Young's lawyer, couldn't immediately be reached.
- Kovacevic: Why did Pens even get Iginla?
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Improved depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
- Penguins’ breakdown on Alfredsson goal changes series
- Heart patients accuse Excela of conspiracy
- Cooke has been steadying force for Penguins in playoffs
- Penguins Insider: Players’ focus in right place
- Senators exude confidence after stirring Game 3 victory
- Pitt baseball team has a lot at stake
- Police: Man had drugs in backpack at school
- Warrant issued for Latrobe man accused of kidnappinwg
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.