Steelers LB Foote awarded $1.2M in Detroit valet scam
DETROIT — A judge has awarded $1.2 million to Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Larry Foote who says he was the victim of bogus valet contracts at Detroit-area shopping malls.
Attorney Jim Acho says Foote invested more than $400,000 with two men who claimed to have parking contracts at Somerset Collection in Troy and Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi. But there were no such deals.
Foote, a Detroit native, filed a lawsuit in Wayne County Circuit Court. A default judgment was entered against the men, who never responded to the lawsuit. Judge Lita Popke awarded Foote more than $1 million Friday. Under Michigan law, financial damages can be tripled.
Acho says Foote is conservative with his money but was misled. The lawyer says collecting the judgment will be tough.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man charged with playing doctor for free Nemacolin stay
- Snow expected to taper off in Pittsburgh by mid-afternoon
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- Hampton grad’s return from injury buoys La Roche College womens soccer
- Penn Hills relishes conference title, reflects on season
- Game Commission enters battle between hunters, Penn Hills residents
- South Fayette boys soccer established among WPIAL’s best
- Tree decorating set in Glen Osborne, other events planned
- Murrysville accepts Sardis Park
- Brentwood’s Conroy shares top conference award on defense
- Life-skills classroom could keep special-education students in Plum