Steelers LB Foote awarded $1.2M in Detroit valet scam
By The Associated Press
Published: Friday, November 30, 2012, 10:52 a.m.
Updated: Friday, November 30, 2012
DETROIT — A judge has awarded $1.2 million to Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Larry Foote who says he was the victim of bogus valet contracts at Detroit-area shopping malls.
Attorney Jim Acho says Foote invested more than $400,000 with two men who claimed to have parking contracts at Somerset Collection in Troy and Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi. But there were no such deals.
Foote, a Detroit native, filed a lawsuit in Wayne County Circuit Court. A default judgment was entered against the men, who never responded to the lawsuit. Judge Lita Popke awarded Foote more than $1 million Friday. Under Michigan law, financial damages can be tripled.
Acho says Foote is conservative with his money but was misled. The lawyer says collecting the judgment will be tough.There are currently no comments for this story.
- Penguins’ Shero talks with Letang’s agent
- Taliban offer to free U.S. soldier in prisoner exchange
- Pitt adds two more recruits
- Anglers, others don’t want Kingston dam to go
- Grilli blows 1st save; Pirates lose to Reds in 13 innings
- Three killed when minivan crashes into tree in Butler County
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle says offense needs to get rolling
- Judge deals setback to Steelers’ quest to expand Heinz Field
- Starkey: No apologies for this NBA column
- Contractor charged with theft from Jeannette
- Bethel Park couple sue contractor in federal court