Coraopolis native to receive Silver Star Medal
A Marine from Coraopolis will be awarded the military's third-highest decoration for valor during a ceremony on Dec. 10 at Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum in Oakland.
Sgt. David M. Gerardi will receive the Silver Star Medal for his actions during a June 6, 2011 ambush in Afghanistan in which his platoon was pinned down by enemy fire.
The sergeant risked his life to get into a position to suppress the attack, the military said, and during a five-hour engagement was targeted by rocket-propelled grenades, automatic grenade launchers and machine gun fire.
Gerardi was able to hold the position and coordinate precision strikes that allowed his unit to move to safety.
The medal will be presented by Maj. Gen. Melvin G. Spiese at an 11 a.m. ceremony.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- National Weather Service predicts up to 7 inches of snow before Sunday night
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- Under Rutherford, it’s been a sizeable shakeup for Penguins
- Rossi: Pirates must pay for Mr. Right
- Coyotes proliferate despite year-round hunting
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Winnik impresses Penguins in first workout
- Police investigating shooting at Strip District club
- Baby Penguins notebook: Goalie Murray on historic run of success
- Arrogant media elites mock Middle America
- Big names become available this week via free agency; will Steelers be tempted?