Vatican decides closure of Donora church can move forward
Published: Monday, December 3, 2012, 8:16 p.m.
Updated: Monday, December 3, 2012
Vatican officials have rejected a petition from some members of Our Lady of the Valley Parish in Donora to overturn a decision to close St. Dominic Church, one of the parish's two worship sites.
In a letter to Pittsburgh Bishop David A. Zubik, the Vatican's Congregation for Clergy upheld the bishop's decision to close the building. Zubik acted at the request of the parish's pastor and finance and pastoral councils, according to the diocese.
The Vatican's decision means the church building can be sold, but not “for any purpose contrary to the doctrinal or moral teaching of the Church,” officials said.
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Alfredsson ponders his future
- Smoking in school costs man more than a fine
- Penguins’ fans as young as five months brave cold to watch Game 5
- TreeVitalize beautifies hospital campus
- Mix-up at poll could impact Freeport Area School Board race
- 16-year-old girl shot and killed on Rankin street
- Cieply dedicating his career to cancer research
- 2-time WPIAL champion wrestler Kenney of Connellsville High chooses WVU
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.