Vatican decides closure of Donora church can move forward
Vatican officials have rejected a petition from some members of Our Lady of the Valley Parish in Donora to overturn a decision to close St. Dominic Church, one of the parish's two worship sites.
In a letter to Pittsburgh Bishop David A. Zubik, the Vatican's Congregation for Clergy upheld the bishop's decision to close the building. Zubik acted at the request of the parish's pastor and finance and pastoral councils, according to the diocese.
The Vatican's decision means the church building can be sold, but not “for any purpose contrary to the doctrinal or moral teaching of the Church,” officials said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reagan shooter Hinckley closer to permanent freedom
- Fights reported, shots fired outside Monroeville Mall restaurant
- Crosby’s 2 goals lift Penguins past Rangers, even series
- Steelers won’t be backed into a corner at NFL Draft
- Starkey: Taylor’s type fading away
- Marte jump-starts Pirates in win over Brewers
- Penguins’ Martin a marked man in series with Rangers
- Use of multiple contractors could leave oil, gas operators open to hackers
- Pirates notebook: Is it time for Kang to head to Indy?
- Penguins notebook: Johnston says Perron needs to shoot
- Transportation challenges rife as Pittsburgh focuses on making fixes