Woman sues North Versailles, claims discrimination in police department
An Elizabeth Township woman claims in a federal lawsuit filed Tuesday that North Versailles failed to promote her and eventually fired her as a part-time police officer because of gender discrimination.
Desiree Smith Mihalic claims in the lawsuit against North Versailles, its board of commissioners and police Chief Vincent DiCenzo Jr. that she was denied overtime and favorable shifts and then fired in September because of the “male-dominated culture” at the police department.
She is seeking reinstatement and promotion to a full-time police officer. DiCenzo and the North Versailles solicitor couldn't be reached for comment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Steelers’ Tomlin does not like his coaching style to be characterized
- State trooper shot and killed during training exercise
- Knife-wielding man attacks 2 in Sheetz lot in Greensburg
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Coalition kicks off effort to revamp education funding
- McKeesport council considers amending adult business ordinance
- McKeesport man charged with sexually assaulting girl, 11
- Pittsburgh rises up for a 2nd year of Pirates magic
- Penguins notebook: Malkin picture muddy
- Despres is relishing his regular role on Penguins’ blue line