Cigarette sparks fire in Gateway school building
Gateway High School students were evacuated Thursday when a small fire broke out in an adjacent building that houses the district's sports complex.
The fire broke out about 1:45 p.m. in the second-floor women's bathroom in the Furrie Sports Complex, said Kevin Bacco, Monroeville Fire Co. No. 4 assistant chief. He said sprinklers had extinguished the fire by the time firefighters arrived.
Gateway spokeswoman Cara Zanella said the fire was started when a student dropped a lit cigarette into a wastebasket. School officials used hall cameras to determine who was in the bathroom and said one student will be facing discipline.
The complex houses the main gym, the pool, and classrooms, among other facilities. No one was hurt, officials said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ Scuderi, Despres an odd couple on defense
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- NFL notebook: RG3 ‘not happy’ with benching
- Pitt’s Dixon searching for answers in Maui
- Kiski Area boys ready for encore
- Former Worthington police chief going to trial
- Holiday greeting cards benefit charities
- ‘Charlie Brown’s Christmas’ reminder of holiday message
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- Manorville boy gets his wish: a week at Walt Disney World
- Contractor fighting Armstrong blight one house at a time