Mt. Washington transit tunnel to close this weekend
Port Authority of Allegheny County plans to close the Mt. Washington transit tunnel Saturday and Sunday so crews can work on the tunnel's ventilation system, the agency said.
Red Line and Blue Line light-rail trains will use the former Allentown line to go around the closed tunnel, bypassing Station Square both days.
Subway Local trains will run Saturday between Station Square and Downtown, but will not serve South Hills Junction. Subway Local trains will use the former Allentown line on Sunday, serving South Hills Junction but bypassing Station Square.
About seven bus routes will be detoured because of the tunnel closure, using Warrington and Arlington avenues instead. Minor stop changes will occur, Port Authority said.
Regular service is expected to resume in time for Monday's morning commute.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt beats Syracuse, snaps 3-game losing streak
- Westmoreland exhibit pairs portraits with still lifes
- Mears savors success, credits legendary Lange for guidance, inspiration
- NFL notebook: Bills practice in Detroit in advance of Monday matchup with Jets
- Penn State struggles against Big Ten’s worst defense in 16-14 loss to Illinois
- Freezing rain hits Western Pennsylvania, many accidents reported
- Conneaut Lake Park to take case to court for tax-exempt status
- Penguins notebook: Penguins getting fewer power-play opportunities
- Touring production of ‘Newsies’ gets to the heart of a real event
- Geologist: Site of idyllic 1833 painting of Lancaster found
- With enrollment dropping, Mercyhurst cuts jobs