Pedestrian killed in Greensburg
A pedestrian died on Thursday upon being struck and pinned under a car while crossing a street near Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital in Greensburg.
Police said John M. Spino, 56, of South Washington Street, was crossing Spring Avenue about 7:30 a.m. when he was struck by a female driver who had turned onto the road from West Newton Street.
“Emergency responders had to pull him from beneath the car. He apparently walked from a parking lot there onto the street and stepped right in front of the moving car,” said police Capt. George Seranko.
Lt. Vance Philips of the Greensburg Volunteer Fire Department said that when firefighters arrived, Spino was under the passenger side door of the Buick sedan.
“There were four of us,” Philips said. “We positioned ourselves around the front passenger side-quarter and lifted the car and were able to pull him out.”
Police said the driver had a green light when she made a left turn onto Spring Avenue from West Newton Street.
Initial reports indicate the driver will not be charged, according to authorities.
Deputy Coroner John Ackerman said Spino was pronounced dead in the hospital emergency room at 8:13 a.m.
An investigation by city police is ongoing.
Paul Peirce is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-850-2860 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Clues to Chief Justice John Roberts’ thinking on new ObamaCare case
- NFL parity makes playoff chase a multi-team muddle
- LaBar: Timing perfect for Sting’s debut at WWE’s Survivor Series
- Starkey: No explaining Steelers, AFC North
- Finding balance between toughness, excessiveness key for Penguins’ Downie
- Iraqi family, torn apart for opposing Saddam, reunites in Pittsburgh
- Pirates trade Davis to A’s for international signing bonus money
- East Allegheny girls basketball team embraces new outlook
- Arziona’s Miller gets boost from Char Valley grad’s play
- Stores creating Thanksgiving dine-and-dash dilemma
- Horse racing industry banks on Wolf