Obama ‘actively supportive’ of assault weapons ban
By The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 2:54 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, December 18, 2012
WASHINGTON — The White House says President Barack Obama is “actively supportive” of efforts on Capitol Hill to reinstate an assault weapons ban.
Obama has long backed the ban, but has failed to push for it throughout his first term. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., plans to introduce legislation to reinstate the ban early next year.
White House spokesman Jay Carney says Obama would also support legislation to close the gun show “loophole,” which allows people to buy guns from private dealers without background checks.
The president has pledged to address gun violence in the coming weeks following Friday's deadly shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.
Obama spoke Tuesday with West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin, a conservative Democrat and avid hunter who is now supportive of a national discussion on preventing gun violence.
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Pirates’ bullpen falters in extra-inning loss to Astros
- Steelers might be forced to rely on rookies in 2013
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Brown’s ‘Inferno’ puts Langdon through his paces
- Militaries’ growing use of ground robots raises ethics concerns
- Starkey: Robots over umps? Yes, please
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Paulk: Weather still an intangible at Indy
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Were we a decent society, we would allow the parents of Newtown to bury their children before we started talking about taking away guns. We are not a decent society, and the irresponsible left led by the President are once again trying to use a tragedy as an opportunity.