Lemieux Center for Blood Cancers dedicated in Shadyside
Published: Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 9:24 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Hockey great Mario Lemieux joined UPMC officials on Tuesday at the dedication of the Mario Lemieux Center for Blood Cancers in Shadyside.
The outpatient facility provides services to patients with leukemia, Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, multiple myeloma and other blood malignancies.
Lemieux, co-owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins, is a cancer survivor.
The center, part of UPMC Cancer Centers and the University of Pitsburgh Cancer Institute, is located on the fourth floor of the Hillman Cancer Center.
Officials said patients who normally have to travel to different offices to visit clinicians and undergo tests instead will be able to do everything in one place. The center will enable more patients to enroll in clinical trials.
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Penguins Insider: Time is right for Jokinen’s return
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- Former Pittsburgh police Chief Nate Harper asks for permission to take grandkids to Ohio amusement park
- Neal’s solid play soon could pay off on scoresheet for Penguins
- Steelers notebook: Less talk, more work is Tomlin’s theme
- Peduto secures Democratic nomination for Pittsburgh mayor
- Penguins notebook: Morrow leaves practice with injury
- Officials identify Homewood toddler killed in East Hills shooting
- Trial begins for teen accused of shooting girl, setting her on fire
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.