Fugitive attempts to run down officer in East Liberty
A fugitive nearly ran down a Pittsburgh police officer Tuesday evening after a traffic stop in East Liberty, police said.
The officer fired at the fugitive's vehicle in self-defense about 6 p.m., but the person got away, according to police. Police said a city cruiser also came under gunfire. No officers were reported hurt.
The fugitive had been pulled over in traffic, police said, but hit the accelerator, almost striking an officer who initiated the stop.
The officer's gunfire shattered a window in the vehicle, which was found with a bloody interior on the 500 block of North Avenune in Wilkinsburg a short time later, police said.
The fugitive was still at-large Tuesday night, police said. No other information was available on the fugitive.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tesla home battery at $7K, partnered with rooftop solar system, may help reduce power bills
- Previewing the the 2015 WPIAL baseball championships
- NFL notebook: Bears release DE McDonald following domestic violence arrest
- Sewickley native Palmer calls new music collection ‘Southern soul’ sound
- Designs for special needs an untapped market
- Consistency keeps Cellone’s Bakery customers coming back
- Child luring reported in Hazelwood
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves
- After Indianapolis 500 win, Team Penske starting to pull away
- Cuba’s dairy industry, once touted as a success, is struggling
- EPA to release biofuels proposal by June 1