Fugitive attempts to run down officer in East Liberty
A fugitive nearly ran down a Pittsburgh police officer Tuesday evening after a traffic stop in East Liberty, police said.
The officer fired at the fugitive's vehicle in self-defense about 6 p.m., but the person got away, according to police. Police said a city cruiser also came under gunfire. No officers were reported hurt.
The fugitive had been pulled over in traffic, police said, but hit the accelerator, almost striking an officer who initiated the stop.
The officer's gunfire shattered a window in the vehicle, which was found with a bloody interior on the 500 block of North Avenune in Wilkinsburg a short time later, police said.
The fugitive was still at-large Tuesday night, police said. No other information was available on the fugitive.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 1 dead, 2 hurt in Pennsylvania hospital shooting
- Man snatches purse behind mall
- DA must approve some arrests based on eyewitness identification
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Truck crashes into Dairy Queen, five injured in Penn Hills
- Beaver DA believes girls might have lived had dad responded faster
- Allegheny County public works director leaves job
- Woman accused of stabbing boyfriend in back
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Appeal filed in death of special needs child in Fayette
- Findlay company owed another $27M, judge decides