Fugitive attempts to run down officer in East Liberty
By Adam Smeltz
Published: Tuesday, December 25, 2012, 7:10 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, December 25, 2012
A fugitive nearly ran down a Pittsburgh police officer Tuesday evening after a traffic stop in East Liberty, police said.
The officer fired at the fugitive's vehicle in self-defense about 6 p.m., but the person got away, according to police. Police said a city cruiser also came under gunfire. No officers were reported hurt.
The fugitive had been pulled over in traffic, police said, but hit the accelerator, almost striking an officer who initiated the stop.
The officer's gunfire shattered a window in the vehicle, which was found with a bloody interior on the 500 block of North Avenune in Wilkinsburg a short time later, police said.
The fugitive was still at-large Tuesday night, police said. No other information was available on the fugitive.
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Gorman: Pitt hoops could soon have Western Pa. flavor
- Pirates’ bullpen falters in extra-inning loss to Astros
- Starkey: Robots over umps? Yes, please
- Remember when: A look at the Valley’s past in the language of the times
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.