Fugitive attempts to run down officer in East Liberty
A fugitive nearly ran down a Pittsburgh police officer Tuesday evening after a traffic stop in East Liberty, police said.
The officer fired at the fugitive's vehicle in self-defense about 6 p.m., but the person got away, according to police. Police said a city cruiser also came under gunfire. No officers were reported hurt.
The fugitive had been pulled over in traffic, police said, but hit the accelerator, almost striking an officer who initiated the stop.
The officer's gunfire shattered a window in the vehicle, which was found with a bloody interior on the 500 block of North Avenune in Wilkinsburg a short time later, police said.
The fugitive was still at-large Tuesday night, police said. No other information was available on the fugitive.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- UPMC researcher who died of cyanide poisoning committed suicide
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- Rooney says Pittsburgh is ‘good place’ for next northern Super Bowl
- HOF finalist Bettis ‘behind everything’ in 2005 Super Bowl run
- Sting highlights demand for Pappy Van Winkle bourbon
- Penguins notebook: Bennett a healthy scratch
- Serena Williams wins 6th Australian Open for 19th major title
- Dungy, Greene represent more Steelers ties in hall of fame voting
- Goodell defends league, dodges difficult questions
- Wilkinsburg auto dealer scammed at least 30 people, police say
- Homework: Pittsburgh Home Show to feature celebs, wine and pets