Former Steelers center dies in Florida
LAKELAND, Fla. — Former Steelers center and coach Chuck Cherundolo died in Florida at age 96.
Cherundolo died of heart failure Dec. 22 in Lakeland, his daughter said Saturday.
Cherundolo played for the Steelers in the 1940s, taking a break to serve in the Navy during World War II. In 2007, the Steelers named him to their legends team, representing the franchise's best players through 1970. He also served as an assistant coach with the team from 1949-61.
Cherundolo played football at Penn State before beginning his pro career with the Cleveland Rams. He played for the Eagles for one season before joining the Steelers.
Jets' GM in limbo?
Decision time is here for Jets owner Woody Johnson.
With his team about to finish its first losing season since he and general manager Mike Tannenbaum hired coach Rex Ryan in 2009, Johnson must decide whether he needs to make any changes to address the problems that led to a second straight year in which the Jets failed to reach the playoffs.
Neither Johnson nor team president Neil Glatt will discuss Tannenbaum's status until after the Jets conclude their season in Buffalo on Sunday. Tannenbaum, through a team spokesman, declined to comment about his situation.
The Patriots activated defensive lineman Jermaine Cunningham and signed wide receiver Kamar Aiken and defensive back Malcolm Williams from the practice squad.
The team also released defensive lineman Ron Brace.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played
- 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
- Steelers training camp has California University link
- Monongahela uses modern technology to connect people to the city’s historic past
- 2 killed in single-vehicle crash in Pittsburgh
- Scout restores Brownsville paddleboat’s smokestacks to earn Eagle award
- Rossi: Nothing huge, but Huntington helped Bucs
- Snake bites on the rise in Western Pa.
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- St. Barnabas 5K provides various reasons to run
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds