Former Steelers center dies in Florida
LAKELAND, Fla. — Former Steelers center and coach Chuck Cherundolo died in Florida at age 96.
Cherundolo died of heart failure Dec. 22 in Lakeland, his daughter said Saturday.
Cherundolo played for the Steelers in the 1940s, taking a break to serve in the Navy during World War II. In 2007, the Steelers named him to their legends team, representing the franchise's best players through 1970. He also served as an assistant coach with the team from 1949-61.
Cherundolo played football at Penn State before beginning his pro career with the Cleveland Rams. He played for the Eagles for one season before joining the Steelers.
Jets' GM in limbo?
Decision time is here for Jets owner Woody Johnson.
With his team about to finish its first losing season since he and general manager Mike Tannenbaum hired coach Rex Ryan in 2009, Johnson must decide whether he needs to make any changes to address the problems that led to a second straight year in which the Jets failed to reach the playoffs.
Neither Johnson nor team president Neil Glatt will discuss Tannenbaum's status until after the Jets conclude their season in Buffalo on Sunday. Tannenbaum, through a team spokesman, declined to comment about his situation.
The Patriots activated defensive lineman Jermaine Cunningham and signed wide receiver Kamar Aiken and defensive back Malcolm Williams from the practice squad.
The team also released defensive lineman Ron Brace.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Time for bold change,’ Wolf says in outlining $30B state budget
- Starkey: Penguins not mortgaging future
- Murphy: May not be able to secure cyberspace, but must minimize impact
- Spirit Airlines to add daily flights from Latrobe to Chicago O’Hare
- State’s highest court to take up legality of Wolf moratorium on death penalty
- Lawrenceville man charged with rape, child pornography and 27 other sexual offenses
- Penguins GM Rutherford not counting on Dupuis’ return
- Company proposes building 2 gas-fired power plants in West Virginia
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Wilkinsburg father ordered to have no contact with daughter or her grandmother
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals