Lawsuit against WTAE over incorrect photo settled
A Fayette County woman and WTAE settled her federal defamation lawsuit against the TV station, which broadcast her picture in a 2010 story about her daughter's arrest.
Kathy Bass, 49, said the airing of her picture identified her as the person who was arrested when it was actually Kathy Ann Bass, 24, of New Salem.
The station's parent company, Hearst Stations Inc., said in court documents that police provided the photo.
U.S. District Judge Cathy Bissoon on Wednesday ordered the case closed based on lawyers for both sides telling her they had reached a settlement. Carlyle Engel, Bass' lawyer, couldn't be reached for comment.
David Strassburger, the Downtown lawyer representing Hearst, referred questions to company lawyer Eva Saketkoo, who couldn't be reached for comment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- On border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Mt. Pleasant seeks on-street bike trail through downtown
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Trial near for Shaler man paralyzed in Pittsburgh police shooting
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Americans detained in North Korea call for US help
- Syrian rebels, government clash in Golan Heights