Lawsuit against WTAE over incorrect photo settled
By Brian Bowling
Published: Wednesday, January 2, 2013, 5:40 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 2, 2013
A Fayette County woman and WTAE settled her federal defamation lawsuit against the TV station, which broadcast her picture in a 2010 story about her daughter's arrest.
Kathy Bass, 49, said the airing of her picture identified her as the person who was arrested when it was actually Kathy Ann Bass, 24, of New Salem.
The station's parent company, Hearst Stations Inc., said in court documents that police provided the photo.
U.S. District Judge Cathy Bissoon on Wednesday ordered the case closed based on lawyers for both sides telling her they had reached a settlement. Carlyle Engel, Bass' lawyer, couldn't be reached for comment.
David Strassburger, the Downtown lawyer representing Hearst, referred questions to company lawyer Eva Saketkoo, who couldn't be reached for comment.
- Penguins far from satisfied after Game 2
- Behind Crosby’s hat trick, Penguins sneak past Senators
- Error in 9th allows Pirates to rally past Astros
- Pirates notebook: NL Central not so soft after all
- Senators head home to regroup
- Pittsburgh officer’s off-duty heroics give toddler chance to live
- Flavors of the world treat for PSO fans
- Lynch, Swartzlander and Miley notch wins at Lernerville
- Wabash Tunnel hours to be permanently restricted
- Monroeville family celebrates daughter’s enduring spirit of generosity
- Agency: Charters ignore most records requests
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.