Lawsuit against WTAE over incorrect photo settled
A Fayette County woman and WTAE settled her federal defamation lawsuit against the TV station, which broadcast her picture in a 2010 story about her daughter's arrest.
Kathy Bass, 49, said the airing of her picture identified her as the person who was arrested when it was actually Kathy Ann Bass, 24, of New Salem.
The station's parent company, Hearst Stations Inc., said in court documents that police provided the photo.
U.S. District Judge Cathy Bissoon on Wednesday ordered the case closed based on lawyers for both sides telling her they had reached a settlement. Carlyle Engel, Bass' lawyer, couldn't be reached for comment.
David Strassburger, the Downtown lawyer representing Hearst, referred questions to company lawyer Eva Saketkoo, who couldn't be reached for comment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reports: Steelers trade for Jaguars kicker Scobee
- Prisoner mistakenly released from Allegheny County Jail to fight extradition
- Pastor who advocated against removal of Ten Commandments monument dies at Connellsville hospital
- RB Williams believes he’s making seamless transition to Steelers
- Biden to visit Pittsburgh on Labor Day
- New Kensington police seek shooting suspect
- Rillton man charged in crash that killed fellow firefighter
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray
- LaBar: Sting making history fighting for WWE title
- Goodell, Brady await judge’s ‘Deflategate’ ruling