Lawsuit against WTAE over incorrect photo settled
A Fayette County woman and WTAE settled her federal defamation lawsuit against the TV station, which broadcast her picture in a 2010 story about her daughter's arrest.
Kathy Bass, 49, said the airing of her picture identified her as the person who was arrested when it was actually Kathy Ann Bass, 24, of New Salem.
The station's parent company, Hearst Stations Inc., said in court documents that police provided the photo.
U.S. District Judge Cathy Bissoon on Wednesday ordered the case closed based on lawyers for both sides telling her they had reached a settlement. Carlyle Engel, Bass' lawyer, couldn't be reached for comment.
David Strassburger, the Downtown lawyer representing Hearst, referred questions to company lawyer Eva Saketkoo, who couldn't be reached for comment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Steelers are vowing to fix the costly penalties, lack of self-discipline
- Mental health facility won’t take Franklin Regional stabbing suspect as patient
- Prosecutors float possibility of jail time for former Justice Melvin
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Western Pa. unemployment rate holds steady in August
- Body found in Allegheny River near Clemente Bridge
- Crafton men attacked in their home
- Charter school founder’s court hearing must remain open
- Shooting victim identified in Lawrence Co. home invasion
- Healthy again, Penguins’ Dupuis eager for game action