One person dies, another injured in Big Beaver home fire
The person killed in a Big Beaver fire on Thursday likely won't be identified for a few days, authorities said.
Two residents who escaped identified the victim as Patricia Parisi, said Big Beaver fire Chief Adam Crepp.
Parisi shared the home with David Dunn, authorities said.
Positive identification could not be made because the body was badly burned, Beaver County Coroner Teri Tatalovich-Rossi said.
Roger Bilyou, who lived in the basement of the home in the 1300 block of Shenango Road, said Dunn, who is his brother, ran into the basement shortly before 2 a.m. to say that the house was on fire, according to Crepp.
Crepp said he believes that Bilyou escaped unharmed through a basement window, while Dunn tried to rescue Parisi.
“After he warned Bilyou, he didn't make it very far,” Crepp said.
The fire singed Dunn's beard and moustache. He went to UPMC Mercy, Uptown, for treatment; his injuries are not life-threatening, Crepp said.
When firefighters arrived, flames were tearing through the living room in the front of the house, Crepp said.
Firefighters doused the flames from the outside. When they got inside, firefighters found the burned body in the living room.
One of the two residents said that Parisi had used an oxygen tank.
The house received heavy damage from flames, smoke and water, Crepp said.
State police fire Marshal David Jungling said the cause of the blaze remains under investigation, but it does not appear that foul play was involved.
Bill Vidonic is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5621 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- East Allegheny teachers gather on picket lines, hope to end contract dispute
- Pitt, city officials inspecting student housing in Oakland
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Western Pa. districts aim to win back students from cyber charters
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Dominion, Duke to build $5B natural gas pipeline from WV to NC