Bloomfield water main break causes problems for Children's, East Busway
By Bill Vidonic
Published: Saturday, January 5, 2013, 10:24 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh is operating on a temporary water supply after a 30-inch water line broke Saturday morning, according to the Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority.
According to a news release, the authority said the main, which supplies water to the Oakland and Bloomfield neighborhoods, broke around 6 a.m. under the South Millvale Bridge at Morewood Street in Bloomfield.
According to the PWSA, customers in the area may be experiencing low water pressure and also loss of water. Crews expect to have the leak isolated by noon, and once that happens, most customers will have regular service, including Children's Hospital.
The water main caused problems for the Port Authority of Allegheny County as well.
According to water flowed down the Neville ramp connecting the East Busway to North Oakland, blocking buses from traveling through. According to the Port Authority, inbound buses are getting to the East Liberty station, while outbound buses are stopping at the 26th Street ramp.
A bus shuttle is serving Negley and Herron stations.
PWSA crews are also finishing work on a 12-inch water main break along Fort Pitt Boulevard Downtown.
Crews finished work on the water line around 6 a.m., and began filling a gaping hole in the road caused by Thursday morning's break. Crews said they expected to take most of Saturday to fill the hole and repair the road.
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
- Whitehall couple sues Pittsburgh zoo over son’s mauling by painted dogs
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Jordan Miles hires two attorneys for civil trial against Pittsburgh officers
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Suspect surrenders in foundry evacuation
- Woman cut from car after Washington Township wreck
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.