Man tries to kill himself twice on I-79 in Washington County
State police say a man twice tried to kill himself Tuesday morning on Interstate 79 in Washington County before going to work.
Police said the man, 22, first tried to end his life by jumping out of a moving vehicle that was driving him to work in Canonsburg about 7:45 a.m.
About a half hour later, police say the man stepped over a guide rail into the path of a tractor-trailer, which tried to avoid the man but knocked him out of his shoes.
Troopers from the Washington barracks say the man jumped up, grabbed his shoes, slid down a hillside and walked to work. He has since been flown to a Pittsburgh hospital.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Linebackers on the spot against Saints offense
- MLB notebook: Red Sox spending way out of the cellar
- Penguins notebook: Johnston calls Quinn ‘phenomenal’ coach, person
- Rocked by scandal: Trusted, beloved stars lose luster amid allegations of bad behavior
- Can’t go it alone
- Goal of political process is not to create a government that works
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- Liberty Bridge inspections to close lanes
- Pittsburgh Tuesday takes
- Blatant misuse of union dues
- Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson shooting