Police arrest man who admits to stealing ambulance in Swissvale
By Matthew Santoni
Published: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 12:24 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Police in Rostraver, Westmoreland County, arrested a homeless man early Wednesday who admitted stealing an ambulance in Swissvale in an attempt to drive to Chicago.
Rostraver police observed Jonathan David Miracle, 19, standing at the open driver's-side door of an ambulance from Eastern Area Pre-Hospital Services, parked outside the BFS filling station on Route 51 about 2:20 a.m. The ambulance was reported stolen Tuesday night from Swissvale, and Miracle was not wearing typical Emergency Medical Services clothing.
After being arrested, Miracle admitted to taking the ambulance, said Rostraver Police Chief Greg Reseter. Miracle told investigators he was trying to get back to the Chicago area, where he has family.
The ambulance was fully stocked with medications and supplies, including narcotics, but none of it appeared to have been disturbed, Reseter said.
State police also were investigating an accident that may have involved Miracle and the ambulance elsewhere in Westmoreland County. Rostraver police charged Miracle with receiving stolen property, and Swissvale police will charge him with stealing the ambulance. State police may file additional charges related to the accident, Reseter said.
Matthew Santoni is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5625 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Penguins notebook: Morrow sits; Bylsma changes lineup
- Former Washington County judge charged with theft, drug possession
- Pirates notebook: Morton could be back in early June
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.